Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A small rant

Yesterday was a 'lost' day'. in other words we had a day filled with odds and ends.  Firstly, Chelmsford for an hour long visit to the bank, basically to set my small savings account on a whirlwind spin, which would result in some interest being paid out at the end, rather scary.  The next thing as we got back for lunch was a client/friend of LS coming from London to pick up some of his scrolls.  A small present is given of the most delicious French (Laduree) macaroons that melted in the mouth, Harrod says I, and sure enough this menu popped up from the restaurant there this morning.  I cannot judge the quality of that very long menu from here, though 'foie gras' did make me angry. No it was that terrible meal we had last night...

Fox and Raven for tea tonight said my love, as it was his turn to cook, so off we trotted to the pub, think they are called gastropubs, funny the word gastro is almost ghastly.... well that summed up my salad and chicken, barbecued chicken on a bed of salad.  I could have almost climbed into the heaped 'bed' of salad, and then hopped out of the restaurant like a rabbit....


The thing is I love the old  Barnes farmhouse in which this restaurant is, we have had happy family meals there, the children playing in the garden, climbing the old magnolia tree, walking along the river through the fields, log fires in the winter but it is has slowly turned itself a horrible 'eaterie' place, a Harvester or Wetherspoon place..with a sort of lackadaisical approach to its food, though here I should be truthful, don't think I have ever been in a Harvester, only the Whitby Wetherspoon, which got flooded by the sea last year, its newness somewhat dampened.








6 comments:

  1. A rant can be VERY therapeutic Thelma; you keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It was so piled up that it fell off the plate and then on to the floor, and then I had the hypocrisy to say that the meal was alright to the waitress. Coward that I am.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, there are some dubious meals out there in the guise of a pub meal! Don't worry about ranting - it's good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had actually vowed never to go there again from the last time, but it is on the doorstep...

      Delete

Love having comments!