Saturday, July 4, 2015

Bits and pieces

This is just bits and bobs and reflects my 'magpie' mind.  Yesterday we had to wait around for the water cylinder to arrive just a day later after the rep's visit, prompt round here as far as service is concerned and now it sits in sedate silence in the garage waiting for the plumber on Monday.

We have an awful lot of cardboard and packing materials to get rid off, and for this we go to Whitby's excellent clean and tidy recycling centre, that had been our plan for the day, so somewhat late we set off.  Also of course to visit the cottage and see that it was still upstanding, 'ear wigging' a loud estate agent in Anne's cottage at the farther end and she seems to be selling it, so a small change in our little yard.

Whitby has Sainsbury and Homebase, only recently opened and we picked up some ordered lights there.  Whitby itself is full of tourists as you would expect at this time of the year, and as I do not lug my camera around on humdrum visits, no photos.

On the way back we stopped at my favourite nursery place by the river Esk, they have all the old fashioned flowers I love.  Herbs were my first thought, we needed a rosemary shrub and a couple of others, a scented geranium caught my eye and Japanese anemones, bought two of the white ones as I love their graceful flowers.

As I sat and drank my tea on the sofa yesterday looking out on to the graveyard, I noticed a gravestone with the name Hugill, my mind immediately went to Huginn (thought) and Munnin (memory) the two ravens that sit on Odin's shoulder, not quite the same but obviously a Norse sounding name, so this morning I looked up Hugill, it is a 'habitation' name, meaning it came from the place where the people lived.

"Hugill has a long Anglo-Saxon history.  The name comes from when the family lived in Howgill or Hugill. Howgill is in Sedburgh, in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  Hugill is also in Westmorland (now part of Cumbria).  The names have a common origin however.  They are based on the old Norse word haugrgeil which means barrow (hill) in a ravine"

What else, I noticed in the news that there is a certain amount of stealing going on of stone in Yorkshire, also sadly old Anglo-Saxon stones from churches, many churches of course  leave their doors open.  Obviously such stone taken has to be portable to some degree, but this stealing of both modern and old stone, rather than buying it is of course criminal.

A more generalised report from the Observer 

2 comments:

  1. Made me smile that you bought some Japanese anemones!! Our garden, and the garden of my cottage in the village, is inundated with them. I too love their graceful flowers (in this case pink) but you can have too much of a good thing and we have to control them severely. Most of their roots have retreated under the garden path so we cannot get at them - this means they line the garden path and I must say they do look pretty.
    I love the Howgills - they are such lovely hills and from a distance look as though they are covered in moss. We frequently go over that way as my god-daughter lives over that side of the country. Last weekend we went out to lunch at Ravenstonedale on the edge of the Howgills - beautiful journey.
    You sound to be settling in well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least they grow up here in the cold north, probably take a while to starting settling in though before they become invasive, must plant them today.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!