Friday, April 8, 2016

Friday; 8th April

Yesterday as I was putting in a couple of rose bushes under the old church wall, looked over and spied  small delicate violet flowers next to the old coke house.  They, being good violets, were in the shade and ran for a short time along the wall.  Love violets, think these were the Common Dog-Violet, but it is only in woods and churches that you see violets now, the ground has not been contaminated with herbicides.  I more often than not only plant the little viola in the garden, the colours nowadays are exquisite, but the hens seem to like them as well unfortunately/



It was beautifully sunny in the afternoon, Lucy enjoying the sun, with an old slipper.  In the house she will follow the beams of sun.  This afternoon I have said that I will go with someone to the dog rescue centre, she wants a dog but seems unsure, think she needs a little push ;)


Two small holes, probably field mice, this is why the owls are always hunting here.

6 comments:

  1. I just adore dog violets and I must say they often seem to thrive in churchyards. I wish I could smell them - they have the most exquisite scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love them to, like to search for flowers in a new area, as this is. It seems to me that wild flowers tend to be found down in the valleys and amongst the woods.

      Delete
  2. Love our Yorkshire puddings here too and love the photo of that very quaint custom. All in good fun. We have lots of common dog violets here on our property and I often include photos of them each spring. Our spring keeps getting delayed by additional snow falls, but it must soon get here...it must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Jocelyn, I think sailing in Yorkshire pudding is a very recent happening. The violet is a pretty little flower, there are apparently about a dozen types here in Britain, they range over the different habitats but are always welcome in Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are several different kinds of violets here and I love them all. Wild flowers don't get the appreciation like they deserve. Interestingly,our very first wild flower in spring is the yellow trout lily which is also a form of violet. Love your Lucy.

      Delete
  4. Everyone loves Lucy, she has a very distinctive personality, which is a bit batty at times. She won the heart of my partner in next to no time. Will look up the yellow trout lily, this garden needs a lot of new planting.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!