Monday, May 29, 2017

Mondayish

Wish I knew the painter, bamboos give a clue

We had a couple of storms yesterday Saturday but hardly any rain. All day the great tractors with trailers rushed through trying to get the silage in.  Piled high there was a sense of hurry in the air.  A wedding at the church went quietly, no flowers or bridesmaids but I am sure they were happy.  A Scottish piper played them into the church and out again, uniformed soldier bridegroom, and another one came rushing into the pub to dump his clothes.  Most people seemed to be from Manchester, so I am not quite sure of the connection with our village.

We should get some storms tonight, though our storms are never quite as strong as you would find in America, but we desperately need the rain. Edit; Well it is Monday and all we have had is a gently drizzle, I am busy wiring up the ramblers and the blackberry.

Elizabeth Sorel - Cow Parsley


There was a time when I fell out with the Pre-raphaelites and also Art Nouveau but it is a very 'pretty' picture of cow parsley though overly romanticized, but right for Sunday!

Looking at it now and it reminds me of those pictures in our prayer books when I was a child, a sort of sacrificial female, a bit like Jesus which brings another  story.  Which is here. and the tale tells of 

"an episode from the Golden light sutra of a bodhisattva removing his upper garments and hanging them on a tree before casting himself from a cliff to feed a hungry tigress and her cubs." 

A truly noble gesture for he gives himself to an animal, it is not something our Christian religion has any time for, seeing the rest of the living world as equal. Our contempt for creatures is leading to their extinction, whether it is the great elephant or the small bee, the outcome will of course be our demise as well, but it is sad that the one thing we had going for us - intelligence - is overcome by our greed.





7 comments:

  1. I do like Art Nouveau. There is something about its fairy tale quality that speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does a decorative dance. I have been surprised though that there was so many female artists through the centuries - just as good as the men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words resonate with me this morning. I'm enjoying your blog, it's a gentle start to the day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I started my morning with a Bealtaine Cottage video,
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2NM_rTfF90&feature=share
      The poppies were beautiful ;)

      Delete
    2. I adore Bealtaine Cottage, but sadly can't get the blog on my pc after a virus wiped out some settings! I follow her on FB :D

      Delete
  4. The loss of the great beasts, both large and small, is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, it is the arbitary nature of how we destroy, elephants are the largest of our mammals, and yet these great sentinent beings are murdered because of their ivory.

      Delete

Love having comments!