Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Wednesday 23rd August

Douthwaite Dale
This rather beautiful area is just a few miles from us, outside Hutton-le-Hole.  You turn off onto a small lane there is no exit at the other end and drive down through the woods.  A hidden valley it belongs to the land that time forgot.  There is a cottage half way down but I think it needs repair, there is someone living in a caravan with a dog there.
This is where I want to walk (when I can) with Lucy, who is putting on weight and is quite happy not to walk, always ready to come home.  I read this morning that dogs are more susceptible to cancer since we have started feeding them on dog biscuits.  Not surprised, the remedy is apparently to feed them more vegetables and fruit.  Lucy loves both, especially cabbage stalks and pears.
There is a circular walk from Hutton-le-Hole through Douthwaite Dale and an eighteen century tale of a young woman walking along on the way from Gillamoor, who became pregnant by a young man, (this was because he had taken a splinter from her finger) but his intentions was to wed a wealthy farmer's daughter.  The young woman broke her heart when she later found out and drowned herself in the beck in her shift or sark, a word I haven't come across.  But sadly the young man when he discovered her body in the beck had just come back from York to get a marriage certificate for both of them to be wed.
Daily walking will do me good as my blood pressure, always high, has reached another high.  Never go to the doctors has always been my first thought, they always find something else wrong with you, but he is a nice doctor and after trying several b/p machines decided I needed a check-up.  So walking soon is definitely on the list.  My car is anchored to the ground I noticed this morning by strands of spider web, should all be dislodged by now as we have just had a terrible thunderstorm with rain sheeting down.



6 comments:

  1. I wonder if there is any truth to that tale. I do love old stories like that.

    It is hard not to give treats to our pets. They are so happy to receive them and it makes us feel good to do that. I am trying to cut down my treats to my Daisy, but she looks so sad as she sits by her treat dish begging me to give her one or two.

    Take care of yourself and visit your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treats: It is those soulful brown eyes of course, it is best to resist but we never do ;).

      Delete
  2. All the street lights in Leyburn were off last night and even the lights in the house were flickering so I thought there must be thunder somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was very heavy, and flooded the roads in no time. your area must have been on the edge.

      Delete
  3. That would be my car, anchored by spider webs, if I did not have a husband who wants to run at least one errand a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now of course is the time of the Autumn spider webs that appear overnight, not sure of the spider's name but think it is called the common-orb weaver spider, which leads nicely into what I want to write next..

      Delete

Love having comments!