Tuesday, January 30, 2018

30th Janaury

Came across this the other day on 'Women artists in History'
Maria Sibylla Merian,  17th century



Listening to the news this morning and the fact that women working in the BBC are to bring a law suit against that venerable body because they receive lesser pay than their male colleagues and a little thrill of optimism sailed through my soul, maybe the world is changing ;)  The book by the way is expensive but you can catch a glimpse of it in the videos here.

The morning is just appearing dull and grey but breakfast was warmed up by these daffodils.  They came into the house two days ago as tight buds and now have unfolded themselves into bright stars of yellow.


Well I made a start on the dollshouse, dry running the fitting of it, and made myself ill by the way, it is very heavy and large, and today I shall finish glueing the inner floors and outer walls.


6 comments:

  1. I have to confess I was never a feminist. Too much of a tomboy perhaps to feel involved in the issues of the day. Good for the women at the Beeb, but I'll let you get excited on my behalf!

    Those daffodils really do brighten up a grey January morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the slow shifting of the world that I approve of, not sure I'm a feminist but Mary Beard is a heroine in that she fights the bad side;) Saw a brief video of daffodils being picked on Jersey I think, much moaning about loss of foreign workers. I remember the Derek Tangye books about picking daffodils down the meadows in Cornwall.

      Delete
  2. Lovely illustration. You might like these copyright free nature pictures http://www.openculture.com/2017/11/two-million-wondrous-nature-illustrations-put-online-by-the-biodiversity-heritage-library.html
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aril for the link, will use it. Forgot to say this morning that the gold tassel you brought was so pretty.

      Delete
  3. Lovely picture of your daffodils. When I took Tess for her early morning walk today the birds were singing beautifully - did me good.
    Many more posts about your house and I shall be forced to go out and buy one myself - I am so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't buy a kit, too much work! But I am enjoying it. We have no daffodils in the garden, they do tend to get over planted everywhere, and then their leaves have to die down, but their bright faces do cheer the world up.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!