Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A short note - so be happy

Things that happen, not exactly a crisis but the crisis of illness.  I will set it out not just for those that read my blog (thank you) but for my own peace of mind.  Paul has been ill for a couple of months, but yesterday we saw the doctor at the hospital who calmly told us that he was on the mend.  Tests were good, recuperation would take months but from that moment of relapse two sundays ago, when I had to call for an ambulance at midnight things have begun to look up.
As I drove back from the hospital the tension slowly started to unwind so that when we arrived home, tiredness struck like a great veil.  We are both happy for this good news, and Irene, who has looked after my small family of animals also turned up, and she sat there with tears in her eyes, what it is to have good friends.
She told me funny tales of Lucy and the bantams playing up, of how Lucy barked at the people in the churchyard attending a grave.  Lucy believes that the graveyard is part of her domain, and will often bark at it when sitting in her armchair.
Paul my love has always been positive through the many uncomfortable things he has had to endure, his lovely smile giving me courage, and my idiotic banter holding the bond between us.
So although he will never be able to raise a glass of beer to the future, we will raise a 'fortisip' protein drink to the future and whatever it may hold. 

And also grateful thanks to those skilled in their jobs at York Hospital, I have learnt much from the nurses in their response to their patients and their unflinching patience in response to difficult patients.  Somehow sitting in the main reception hall with people passing by I have seen my fellow humans in a better light.  That might sound odd, but if you don't come out of hospital in a more philosophical mood than where else? William in Ward 33, drew for Paul his embossed name and I shall always keep it it as a memoir, not of dark days but of kindness.

8 comments:

  1. Important paths can cross in the hospital. Glad your husband is on the mend and I can certainly appreciate your relief. Just make sure you eat and sleep well as illness can show up for you after such stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news. It's amazing how much events can do a restart for us to even appreciating the little things that before went by so fast. Life is so short even for those who live the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send you both my love Thelma for what it is worth. Having gone through several bouts of illness and hospitals with very dear loved ones over the years I know just how hard it is to stay positive. Love conquers everything - staying positive is the greatest help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous to hear this!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stressful time for you both (and the family too of course). I am glad that you have positive news now and Paul will be on the mend, no matter how long it takes.

    I hope you can begin to unwind and de-stress - it's been a difficult hill to climb . . .

    Thinking of you both, and sending healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Jennie it has looked bleak at times, but Paul has been so good in doing what he has been told to do. He is very bored with sitting around doing nothing but his strength is slowly coming back. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!