Thursday, November 16, 2017

Quiet Times

My world is slowly dissolving into winter, some days the weather is warm other days cold, they say we are going to have a bad winter - who knows.  The world is in a firmament of movement not just the earthly happenings but people experiencing the earthquakes and flooding and the heartrending flow of people from their devastated villages and homes due to the manipulations of terror and war.
I have spun for ages listening to a rather horrible series of episodes on BBCI radio player which did not help. 
I am waiting for some acid dyes to colour the wool a soft yellow, though there is a box of Japanese dyes in the garage somewhere.  Tuesday night was quiz night, very well attended everyone squashed in, far too many people, the usual people again won the quiz, I told Jill yesterday she should be handicapped when it came to quizzes but we did not do too badly with Karen and John on our table.  This time Paul was co-ordinator having taken over from David.  Harriet, she who runs the pub, had given a voucher for a free meal for two, and everyone tucked into enormous beef pies (Tuesday night is pie night) except me and Graham we dined on a very good vegetable lasagne.  So a successful night, though difficult quiz!  The next 'do' is in February, a carvery.
A selection of photos from May, when summer was beginning, I even found bluebells in the verge just down the road.




It was warm and sunny on this visit to Byland Abbey
Somewhere near the Kilburn White Horse

Jean in York, always travelling the world!
Edit;  One other thing;  Some years ago I did some work on Oliver Cope, tailor of Avebury in the 17th century and his subsequent emigration to America with his family, starting a dynasty of Copes there.
Well a descendant wrote asking for further information, which I did not have, headstone and house.
But it stirred up memories of the work I did at the time, seeing this little family start on their brave journey to America, imagining the boat ride across the Atlantic and their small plot on Nameen Creek, it was digested here for the Heritage Trust.  But there must be articles around, I notice links are no longer there.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Need to remember that May is around the corner after Xmas. ;)

      Delete
  2. The more I read your posts Thelma the more I realise how you have integrated so well into your village in such a short time. You are definitely an asset to the village - people who do that are so appreciated by those who already live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you back Pat, we didn't half miss you! Yes I think we have intergrated fairly well, there was a flurry of invitations when we first arrived for us and the other four newcomers, which we appreciated very much.

      Delete
  3. I like your phrase, 'dissolving into winter.'--November is not my favorite month--there's the necessity of relearning to bundle up before venturing outdoors, the switch to standard time which has us in the dark my 4 p.m.
    Time indeed to burrow back into the pastimes of books and sewing.
    I enjoyed the article on the Cope family background, as well as your 'nom de plume', Moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sharon, in other places I am Moss, it keeps my old dog close to my heart and I just love moss.. Well the blue of the cold came down last night across Britain, and I hear rumours that the winter months will not be good. I turned up some notes on the Cope family last night about the ship they went on, which I think was the 'Welcome'.

      Delete

Love having comments!