Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Field Art

Sorting as I have been through my photos, I recognised a couple of crop circles that I had managed to capture on our walk up Waden Hill by Avebury.
My concentration is usually on the ground and the flora and fauna, (there is a badger holt up there), so though I knew there were crop circles in the fields I was'nt very interested in them, only in the sense to get cross at the idiots who were stomping across the fields to see them, but I have written of that elsewhere.
The butterflies feasting on the thistle flowers I have already shown, I'd been following a trail of them through the grass.
But lately Heritage Journal has been having a lot of hits on its crop circles (thanks to Google no doubt) with our joke news. The 'three tall aliens' seen emerging from a crop circle near to Silbury Hill was in actual fact seen by a policeman, I'm not sure if that verifies the truth of the matter or that he may have been an off-duty policeman slightly the worse for wear. Be that as it may, the legend of crop circles around 'mysterious Wiltshire' is still alive and strong.




Still to be identified

Silbury with a crop circle in the field of wheat to the left




So why 'field art' well my dear friend Syb sent me this morning a whole batch of Japanese rice fields decorated with artwork, this patterning of the landscape is becoming quite popular Andy Goldsworthy immediately comes to mind, not sure that I like it, the farmers definitely get furious about the vandalism of their fields but its a weird and wonderful world when we populate the landscape round Avebury with aliens, UFOs and crop circles when its more tangible claim to fame is a 5000 year old stone circle.






2 comments:

  1. I still find it extraordinary that there are still folk out there unable to accept that these circle are, although undoubtedly stunning, man made. Folk that are unwilling, for what ever reason, to believe that we can put a man on the moon (no conspiracy theories please) send messages around the globe in the blink of an eye but are unable to create a pattern in a field of corn. There’s nout queerer than folk.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!