Sunday, April 22, 2018

Sunday


I start my thinking with my daughter's photo this weekend, it is of Lake Leman (or Lake Geneva) at Vevey, she has gone for a few days to see her aunts and cousin Marc.  I can almost taste the fresh clear air and could easily pull out her grandpa's poem - but won't.  She also sent an email with my eldest grandson latest offering in The Independent, in a strange coincident he is following in his father's footstep and working in an advertising company.  It is a long blurb on how technology will invade the bathroom, drone mirrors to capture the back of your head, a voice recognition system to understand that you are running low on certain items, and even a water system which will recognise the temperature you require - so glad that I am running towards the end of my time on this Earth before technology overtakes me ;)  But I am proud of him, as I am sure his father is as they have both got in touch recently. 
To more mundane things such as weeding, which are giving up their roots freely in the damp friable soil and all my plants are showing healthy signs of growth.  Thinking of giving up vegetables except for tomatoes and cut and come again lettuce and of course courgettes.
The photos, taken yesterday, will remind me of blue skies, sun and warmth before the cold weather comes back again next week!  There is a smudge on my lense, rectified now!

Guinea fowl stroll nonchalantly down the road playing havoc with the few cars out.


The trees still in bud, perhaps May will see them leaf out.


Daffodils at the far end of the village.


The old rectory's topiary evergreens, must check the old photo on these.


edit; 
the 20ft. sculptured Yew Hedge made of 5 Yews was planted in 1897 and shaped for many years by John Wood, Albert (Tally) Hornby and Harold Spenceley.  Boys in the 50's would climb inside the Yews and took delight in poking their heads out of the very top. Below John Wood cutting the yews in 1977.


The old path to the church



The Sun Inn, next door, Google is always trying to make me rate this pub, but it has got the wrong pub for me to rate and review.  Does Google get it wrong? Yes.Artifical Intelligence always work? Course it doesn't it will probably give me a scalding bath tub of water and order the wrong shampoo!



Our one outing this week figured fish and chips from the Lemon Tree cafe in Kirkby, not bad, though I don't really like my chips cooked in beef lard, but their 'secret' batter was good, and they are 'greenish' hurrah.  Sustainable fishing around Iceland and the Barents sea.  Potatoes from Helmsley just down the road, and biodegradable packaging.  The boxes are from sugar cane, and their carrier bags are also biodegradableexperts on fish and chips round here is quite important,Our friends always go to The Magpie in Whitby (is that why they have a little house there I wonder?) And for the best f/cs Pickering has an excellent one, you can take these to the local pub, also called the Sun Inn and eat them there in the garden, presumably with a pint of beer.  Also this pub is the stop off place to take sick hedgehogs or ones that you are not sure of, to be nursed and rehomed. 

2 comments:

  1. There seems to be quite a lot going on in your area Thelma. It is the same around here if you just look for it.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Yes I do burble a bit about the area ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!