Monday, June 29, 2026

A small feeling of exultation ;)

No.10 North: Well there is a challenge ;) ;) It was a good speech but I know many who read this blog will be upset. Apologies for that!  Andy Burnham hasn't even been elected yet as the new Prime Minister ( many a slip between cup and lip) But let us take it for granted.  I expect a lot of what he promises will take years to happen but he goes down to grass roots and that is where the Westminster gang have never been.  Well perhaps except Sir Michael  Heseltine, who also spoke out for the Northern scene.  The link plays his speech which is about 16 minutes long.

I have just heard someone on the radio saying that the bond market will not be upset from this latest news.  The talk is of change and putting the money back into  people's bank account and allowing the economy of the country to be worked by us, the ordinary people.

You think it can't happen but look at how Todmorden works, local people gardening all the areas that stand as  an empty space, a community college for local activities; money being spent, we had £16 million from the government and there is a lot of noise going on in the square not 50 yards with refurbishment from where we live.  Work means wages.

Yes there was endless discussion of how it would be spent, there are naysayers, miserable sods and moaners who quibbled - but it is getting done!  The truth is simple, governments govern for the people and this country .

London is a marvellous place but they just see things differently to people 'Up North'  Everyone in London you pass in the street is a stranger.  It's attraction for wealth has knocked out two classes, the lower and middle class (I hate class),  From what I have heard on podcasts the young of this country are also fed up with a system that takes from the students £70,000 odd to be paid off over their working age.  Mortgages! would add another large bill to a wage, not too mention,  the outlandish expensive housing they have to have  if they want a family.

 So I am happy, perhaps change will benefit us all.





16 comments:

  1. I am originally from the North (Liverpool)-also years in Lancashire and Yorkshire. Now I live in Devon and I have learned it is not about North and South, it's about London and the South East v the rest of the country. It may be pretty down here but there is just as much deprivation and disappointment here. People in the South West feel just as alienated from central government as people up North.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, I know Cornwall also suffers from the same fate and wants more independence. Of course what has been said are words for the future and the hope message is a comfort blanket. But the whole political shindig needs a good shake-up. Also the South West has to fight its corner. Scotland and Wales are still grumbling about Westminster. You are right about it being London, South East v the rest of the country but Burnham came out and said it as it is.

      Delete
  2. I hope that he gets on and tackles the environmental issues we are facing. Even in the South East it still feels like everything is very London centric. Let's keep our fingers crossed for better things to come. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Aril, a change has been declared, it is almost like the time in the Iron Age/Dark Ages the country was split up into separate tribes. We are as as a country tackling the need for green energy, we just have never built houses to withstand heat. I think the environmental groups are fighting back, it is surprising how much insect life, whether butterflies or bees, is found in other countries. We have a bad record.

      Delete
  3. They are interesting perspectives from the south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we shall see Andrew. Interesting times ahead.

      Delete
  4. Another one from the South. I hope it means buses and an integrated public transport system for Dorset, I cannot even get to next town by bus. Also more money for rural villages and their schools and non existent community centres. He sounds like a breath of fresh air so I really hope it all goes to plan. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are the buses always in a mess. We do have regular buses (mostly) up and down the valley road and with information on the electronic boards but often they say the next bus is finishing service. Well spending the nation's money around the country is a pretty good idea, although it is done sparingly now. Rural villages should have those smaller buses that come through the villages two or three times a week.

      Delete
  5. Whatever our political views, it's always encouraging to see people discussing ideas for improving their communities and supporting local economies. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true Asep, though it can also be rather boring I think.

      Delete
  6. London has some of the worst poverty in the country. It’s not Londoners so much as government and the financial district. It doesn’t necessarily trickle down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the 'trickle down' theory, is firstly cruel and secondly doesn't work. London with all its glamour has many problems under the surface.

      Delete
  7. I don't know much about him but it's good to have some changes. I'm hoping we can get rid of some of the old farts that have been in government too long here.
    By the way, my youngest son is in Manchester this week for a conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your son gets on well in Manchester, plenty of eating places of every kind Ellen. We were always told greybeards were wise in their old age but it is an untruth!

      Delete

Welcome, comments are appreciated.