Sunday, July 12, 2026

Sunday nonsense

 It is getting cooler, with the window open a refreshing breeze blows through the house.  Outside noises also become clearer.  This morning the crows and probably a chirring blackbird chasing off a robber magpie from their nests.

I listen to children playing out on the road,  'Elizabeth Bott' (I'll scream and scream again) is alive somewhere out there.  Deep Yorkshire voices, tittle-tattling or gossiping if you prefer under my window.  Families walk by push chairs in hand and of course the legion of dogs on their way to that green path for the dogs to relieve themselves.  Little yappy dogs adding their barks to the air.  Yes people are enjoying the warmth of this summer heatwave.

Our kitchen bakes somewhat, the Aga is still on, because it is expensive to turn back on, once turned off, and as we cook on it we just have to put up with the heat. The fridge/freezer is of course playing up and the old one in the basement has given up the ghost but resuscitation is planned for the kitchen fridge/freezer.

I featured a photo of Green Eyes the kitten yesterday.  Him feral instincts was to join on as family to my two bantams and he lived in the garden quite happily coming in for food.  But when I left Normanby I had to find a home for him  He went off quite happily to a smallholding, though it was a devilish job in catching him.  Happy ending.

Yesterday the internet disappeared, I turned the router off a few times but nothing happened.  When Lillie came back she fixed it with a 'hot spot' on her phone!! I will never get there as a competent computer person, how do you fix hot spots on your phone??  At least this morning I was able to distinguish AI fake photos of people from real people.  It was that glint in the AI eyes, just didn't look natural ;)


Photo of the day.  This is Whitby when the swing bridge is open to let boat traffic through.  It is always crowded with holidaymakers and is the only crossing place between the two sides of Whitby.  The next bridge is a good mile further inland.  The bridge has been closed this week because of repairs and all those wishing to cross from one side to another have to walk a long way to the other bridge.

Another edit:  A good obituary by one of my gurus Professor Tim Wilson who I listen to.  Ann Widdicombe

10 comments:

  1. I would enjoy hearing and perhaps seeing the passers by. I learnt about hot spotting would you believe in Montenegro. Our personal guide for the day was generous, allowing me to hot spot to his phone for internet, and I might add that he was smoking hot. The whole day, including him driving us in his car, cost about €100 for four of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good bargain Andrew. Sometimes you hear a raised voice, and someone got cross about noisy children but it is good to see them play on the street. It is one way and cars have to turn sharp right which slows them down considerably.

      Delete
  2. Tim Wilson talks a lot of sense. We watch him quite a lot.
    I like listening to people. I didn't watch the football - I was in bed - but knew when England scored because my next door neighbour's son and his friends loudly celebrated each goal. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there will be speculation about it all Janice but Wilson has a measured tone when viewing the happenings of the day. His vlogging every day reflects the world we live in, or at least the one he lives in.

      Delete
  3. An 'Elizabeth Bott ' type child moved into to one of the houses behind me on the estate, she is loud! Tormented by an older brother I think, who kicks a ball repeatedly against a wall in their garden. It was quiet back there before they arrived about 3 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of children Sue, then they grow up into teenagers and rather than live by day live by night. Then the day comes when they spring fully formed into adults..

      Delete
  4. That professor speaks common sense. I hope people don't make the situation worse by jumping to conclusions. Lately, that seems to happen a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course there will be speculation Ellen. The murder is a big juicy bone for the media. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was shocked when I read about Anne Widdicombe yesterday! I don't think I understand the Elizabeth Bott reference, but it's always fun hearing kids playing outside. I quite often hear our neighbors' kids over the garden fences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Violet Elizabeth Bott, features in the 'Just William' books. She always got her way by screaming. Yes it is lovely to see children playing in the street, noisy of course. The murder of Ann Widdecombe is terrible but the police seem to be working fast on it and keeping the public informed.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, comments are appreciated.