Thursday, February 27, 2014

A drive



Weather again fine yesterday so we took ourselves off to Terling.  Pretty Terling is one of those villages preserved by the hand of the local lord, Lord Rayleigh to be precise, so that its large village green and houses are preserved, with not too much new build going on. Rabbits played in the field, squirrels rustled around, and we saw a buzzard and tree creepers in the woods alongside the little River Ter.
Coming back amongst the lanes, we hit a back lane pretty badly hit by the floods, no water now, just great potholes a foot deep, and very muddy because the farmer had been using heavy machinery, maybe to clear the ditches which were extraordinary deep with the verges all mushed up.

Spot the rabbit, all went into hiding as soon as the camera appeared

local planting

the little river grown large
The houses are typical plastered Essex houses, in some case jettied, as is the post office, the strong Essex colours are dominant.......

Look at those tudor chimney pots

The Green with the church

Terling post office

Strange windmill

Spooky house in the middle of nowhere
Two young lop eared rabbits enjoying the sun

8 comments:

  1. I don't know this part of the world - the only place I have been to in Essex is Thaxted, where we have friends. It looks so pretty here - and yes I spotted the rabbit - I have plenty of practice in our fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were about a dozen in the field, gamekeeper apparently keeps foxes, magpies etc down ;(

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful description of our beautiful countryside....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back blogging Ana...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty village to have a wander round. Takes me back to when we used to go to my b-in-law's at Brightlingsea twice a year, and explore the Essex and Suffolk countryside. I love the jettied houses.

    The rabbit was certainly sitting tight : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Essex houses, so many still exist, and the pargetting of course.

      Delete
  5. I can't get to your St David's post so I don't know if I'm alone in that....very upset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I removed it, basically because I did not say much but will put it up again with a couple of other links Em.

      Delete

Love having comments!