Wednesday, May 14, 2014

May flowers



Happy moments; Last night we found a missed call on our phone from Sunday, and tracked it down eventually to my son Mark. So I phoned his mobile, no answer, but a few minutes later he called back; this is an event, he never calls me.  But apparently (poor lamb) he thought it was 'mothering sunday' I explained it was the American one and he had missed the one we normally celebrate in this country...
As he works in Bath, he stays with his father during the week and then returns to the flat he shares with his friends in Bristol at the weekend. It was a funny long conversation, he had watched Wild Essex, and wondered if Essex was really like that and that he intended to get Macfarlane's book.  This is the child who would never venture out into the countryside for a walk, similar to my eldest grandson Tom, I have always bribed my children to go for a walk with the dog. Dragged them out moaning and sulking, it was so much easier to be by myself.  Tom was maybe the worst at about 4 years old, he would measure the distance we had to walk between trees, a 100 yards here equalled a glucose sweet, a long walk equalled a sticky bun from the bakers on the way home.  There was that terrible time he stood on a spiky thistle and screamed the race course down, because he thought he had been bitten by some terrible unimaginable creature.

That was how I started my blog this morning but time moved on, firstly we went round the hedgerows early this morning to collect elderflower to make that fizzy drink........



then later to Hylands garden for a walk, for the moment only the wistaria in all its glory...






Incredibly exotic wistaria tumbles down from pergolas, walls and balconies at this time of year, the branches twist round their supports in a firm grip and for a moment you can walk under a tunnel of  a sweet smelling blue haze..... 

2 comments:

  1. The Elder is only JUST starting to bloom here (well, there's one out on the track beyond our yard veg. plot). I will make Elderflower handcream I expect, but not Elderflower syrup as it is so sugar-heavy and I am the only one drinking it, so . . .

    The Wisteria is just DIVINE. Thankyou for sharing such beautiful pictures. We viewed the oldest house in Hennock (my Bolt ancestors lived in Hennock after the Napoleonic Wars) and that was covered in an ancient Wisteria all across the front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennie, gorgeous is it not the wistaria, and just right for draping English houses ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!