Wednesday, February 6, 2019

"Trying to find the sunshine in my later years of life" McCullin

It is almost springlike, the dawn chorus almost there, but it is probably a false dawn for spring. Yesterday a friend called in to tell us about a rescue dog she had been offered. I have lived through three years of C wanting a dog, not sure about it, perhaps it would be best not to have a dog, etc  My advice is go for it and hang the consequences and take on another of life strays!  Though it is not exactly a stray, rather a young long-haired dachshund who doesn't get on with a newly arrived baby.
Thoughts buzz through my mind, watched Don McCullins the photo-journalist, don't cry over this video on war, you have the freedom not to watch it. On TV last night he was photographing the funnier aspects of life in our seaside towns, and Glynbourne, whilst also going back to his London birthplace, some of his photos on poverty in the 1960s makes you wince with the sheer brutality of being poor.  Now in his eighties he makes new forays into the eccentricities of the English race ;)
Have we changed? Poverty in a different disguise still exists, the North-East is being sold out once more by the conservative party but then are not diesel fueled cars unacceptable, at least we still have the £60 million pounds, to be paid to Nissan, intact.

Wayland's Smithy long barrow in Autumn a very peaceful place.


But the masons leave
for the lime-pits of time, with flowers, chaff, ashes,
Their plans are spattered with blood, lost,
And the golden plumb-line of sun says; the world is leaning,
Bedded in a base where the fingers
Of ancient waters touch the foundation.
But feel the walls; the glow stays on your hands.

7 comments:

  1. I often speculate on what I would do if I lost my beloved Tess - she is my companion, my support and my solace through the odd bad time. At my age would it be fair to get a rescue dog when my life span is surely almost over? What would then happen to the dog? Would it have to go back to rescue and if so then that would surely mean the whole exercise would be wrong.

    As to the Nissan fiasco - like you, living up in the North East it is near to home. What about giving that sixty million to the NHS as some kind of interim payment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well trying not to be so depressed by such things is one answer, but it is best to take life fearlessly and not look forward to such a time, so yes take on another dog would probably be my answer. Not sure I would though after our experience with Lucy ;)
    The NHS devours money but it would be a solution.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to think about when bringing a new pet into our homes. When I got my Daisy, I knew she would certainly outlive me, but she needed me and I needed her. I have asked my children if they would take her when I can no longer care for her and one oh my daughters said yes. Her circumstances have changed lately so I am concerned but will hope for the best. I am not going anywhere for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good decision, not forgetting that animal trusts will also take on an old pet and house it for you should anything happen. Daisy has her perfect life up to now and surely that is something ;)

      Delete
  4. I watched the McCullin programme on iplayer this evening - excellent stuff. I loved his humour (the bandstand and the band in the pouring rain) and I agree that the poverty is still there and the homelessness - just in a different guise and maybe not as severe. That little child without shoes in the back street and the appalling one room they lived in with the "long tails" - at least that is not happening now, is it? I just hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yess McCullin just lost it with the band, couldn't stop laughing, I suppose it was the stoical nature of both the audience (eating their sandwiches) and the band itself. That photo of the 'room' was terrible, I doubt we would see such misery today, no water, no sanitation but there are pretty terrible ill kept houses now, the balance of social housing having gone down and private renting up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi and welcome, McCullin was told not to photograph in the war scenes, that he did, brings home the wickedness of war as those young lads in their bell bottoms were probably shot - such an absolute waste of life war. England has become a divided society and until this is recognised there will always be an anger against those that have. We are run by a caboodle of greedy people with little care for others, but that doesn't mean that everyone is like that.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!