Monday, February 25, 2019

Monday 25thJanuary

I do so love the skeletal aspect of winter trees

So foggy outside, this strange warm weather by day hits the cold of the night and we have fog.  Two police vans have just rushed by, so there is probably an accident somewhere.

Yesterday 'The Greenman' came to visit, okay he is a local gardener and looked at the job I want him to do.  Which is............... dig me out a bed by the church wall where the roses are, three feet wide, I should be able to plant lots of lavender and shasta daisies, and apparently he started 400 foxgloves last year so I have agreed to buy some. Quite exciting planning a new bed. The lavenders will be medium sized and hopefully the ones that smell strongly.  The person who came to coffee last week is also a gardener, and her son runs the warehourse for York Lavender a place I wasn't all that taken with but I will see what they have.

We have an old visitor to the garden, Jack the broken winged jackdaw, he hops around joining the bantams by their run and sunning himself on my cold frames. So another mouth to feed and protect.

There is talk of Third Energy (the fracking company) trying to take up their four licences in our area.  Now as we know they left Kirkby Misperton and took all their equipment away because the government did not think they were financially secure, especially as Barclays Bank had pulled out of backing them. So what is to be done? I know there is a landowners meeting at Castle Howard because one of our farmers is going.  It seems that no matter how much the people protest such things are forced through.

Fracking would presumably be much worse than the fact that the government is trying to get rid of wood burn stoves, probably succeeding in Scotland, all very strange ??

Here is a fracking song from the aging songsters of 'Seize the Day' at least its cheerful....






7 comments:

  1. Your greenman has been - I am eagerly waiting for mine. The first I shall know of his arrival is when I see him walking up and down with his mower on my front lawn. I have a small new bed I want him to prepare for me - but I want dwarf evergreen shrubs in it that I can interplant with bulbs for spring colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have given in to doing such things myself, my ankle wouldn't stand it. He is a giant of a man with long hair, but works for the famous cook James Martin who lives in a village down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am feeling so guilty for our dozens of fires we burned this winter to take the chill off and to keep our heating bills down. I need a gardner badly. Guess I will start putting out feelers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think honestly that the fuss over wood burners is more to do with the urban ones in the citys and towns, they have become 'fashionable'..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel a bit guilty having Thelma get the Green Man in to do her border but that sort of hard digging and the shifting of turf etc is a bit beyond me now.

    Mowed the front lawn today (which takes a couple of hours including strimming and cleaning up afterwards) and realized how not doing much outside all winter had not been good on the stamina front.

    Hard work was rewarded though with a cold beer on the garden bench in something like 20c (in February!). Climate change very bad but how not to enjoy such an unexpected treat at the end of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well guilt on my side as well but it is the act of getting older as well. And think of the planning out of it, quite exciting.
      Climate change see next news!

      Delete
  6. Your proposed plantings sound like they’ll be good for the bees.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!