Saturday, February 23, 2019

Saturday and the robin is singing outside my window as I write


Carn Meini
The weather is warm, the teachers are 'out' to protest about teaching our children about climate change - all is well with the world, not really.  Lucy is sleeping noisily at my feet.

First the funeral that was so well attended by so many people, all I can say about it was that it was very affirmative. We sang songs and listened to eulogies and poems, Gerry and the Pacemakers - You Will Never Walk alone; Westlife - You Raise Me up; and perhaps most poignant of all Eric Clapton - You look Wonderful Tonight.  Rod had organised his own funeral service and this was his tribute to his much loved wife.  I think above all that it wasn't sad and knowing that Rod is buried so very near, I shall learn to say good night to him when I go to shut the bantams up as it gets dark. He lies towards the back of the grave yard overlooking the sheep's field and the old gate down to the river.

To other things, we had an email from our American friends that released a spate of emails. D in North Western France, S in Cornwall, all about Stonehenge and the Preseli Hills, and the first thing that comes to mind is Pat telling us about that old man who had dedicated his life to a memorial to the death of  10 American servicemen in the park near him in Sheffield when he was eight years old.

It sparked the memory of fragments of another plane  that crashed on the Preseli Hills.  This time the RAF, here on a bleak Welsh mountain, there is still a reminder of the second world war.








6 comments:

  1. Memories - memories - so many good things to remember - in these politically stressful times we have to hold on to memories like the ones you have brought up today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think the news is too dominant Pat, it clouds out the good things in life. But then some things come together and we are reminded that people are on the whole good.

      Delete
  2. We must never forget our heroes...never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Tabor, and it is such men as Toby in keeping the flame alive reminds us at all times, that others around us act bravely.

      Delete
  3. We go to funerals but have opted to not have them in my family. What we do instead is go to the burial and then have a meal back at the house as a kind of wake. I don't want a funeral at all and plan to be cremated but have yet to decide where to have the ashes put-- other than not in a cemetery. We have a community cemetery near to our home and could have them with our parents as we bought the plots but I like the idea of nature somewhere. If I die before I make up my mind, the family will have to figure it out lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the family will have to figure it out lol" talking on the phone with my daughter about this, and she said didn't I want to be scattered somewhere over the moors. She will never find it and would need to pay a taxi driver a fortune to go there, which made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!