Sunday, August 29, 2021

29th August 2021

 It is Sunday a time to write something.  We shall be going out to lunch today, walking up the hill and across fields to a pub, it sounds good.  It is difficult to write at the moment, the news is relentless and miserable and sad, and one can only think of those people in Afghanistan trapped and frightened. 

Yesterday I walked along the canal to the second bridge, in the distance were white geese bobbing on the water, three lined up facing the bank.  A dozen more scattered around.  The water of the canal is a chocolatey brown anointed with thousands of feathers that float gently, a peaceful and calming sight.  Apparently the geese gather there for the owner of an Indian restaurant who always brings the leftover naan breads for them.  Here at this spot there is a tea barge called Shanti Tea, run by a very hippish lady, she passed me by wheeling a trolley with a canister of gas and a couple of dozen eggs, you can have waffles to.  When I was a child we had a waffling iron, in which you poured the batter and then honey to fill the holes of the waffle - delicious.

I walk back, still I can't video from my camera, a couple of bikes go past, dog walker and then another hippy this time with a baby in a carrier he smiles at me and wishes me good morning.  Todmorden, apparently according to my daughter, is having the off spill of Hebden Bridge housing market, people are moving into the area and up marketing it. Going posh as you might say!

I have found that it is colder this side of Yorkshire and the clothes I picked are too summery, so I am quickly knitting stuff to keep warm.  It has been a strange summer weather wise, they say it is the hottest due to climate change but it hasn't felt particularly hot.

I had forgotten this video from yesterday.  It is about Doggerland, a lost land under the North Sea.  I fell in love with this notional Atlantis.  A land mass that joined us to Europe, it eventually went under about 8000 years ago and now here we are sitting in 'Brexit Land'.

When it was a fully functioning landscape there roamed extinct animals and also Neanderthal people, who weren't the numbskulls we depict them to be nowadays.  As the fishing boats have trawled the stone tools from the bottom of the sea, another picture has emerged. It has subtitles, the language is Dutch, and comes from the Rijkmuseum. 




6 comments:

  1. It is good to still hear from you - even if your posts are not quite so often. Lovely that you have settled in so well. Not a bad idea to move after losing a much-loved partner - I found that when I lost David - too many memories which become happier when one moves on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think memories travel with us Pat, it is just finding the right emotion to go with them. If that makes sense.

      Delete
  2. It catches the imagination to think that so little time ago, in earth time, there was land joining the country to Europe. In another few decades we might be watching films about East Yorkshireland and Lincolnshireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is why it so fascinates me, I got the book written by Vincent Gaffney but it was full of charts and graphs and totally boring, but I see there are other books to be had.

      Delete
  3. We had a waffle iron which was never used. Thanks for the Doggerland video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the waffle iron we had, it must have been put on the old Victorian range to cook.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!