Friday, January 12, 2024

12th January 2024

Birthday presentsTwo beautiful art books on the Japanese Edo period of flowers and birds from my son. From the family I have a voucher for willow weaving and need to choose my lessons.  I am torn between making baskets but also bird nests and there is rather an attractive weave for bottles. Andrew has promised an outing to Shibton Hall in Halifax and lunch, so I have been spoilt. When I first looked at the weaving literature, the first thought, 'you want me to weave my own coffin?' Inability to take life seriously is one of my faults!

Lost and found dogs in Tod have had a good week, all lost dogs found their way safely home.  It is quite extraordinary the use of drones to find lost dogs it is happening all over the country.  I have a crap news feed on my tablet but it throws up odd pieces of news.  There is a sort of hero-worship for dogs, cats not so much.  These poor animals can be tarted up with clothes and if you have ever seen a dachshund in a raincoat you would plead with the owners to not dress their poor dog up and just dry them when they get home.

I know its the algorithms that sort your news feed, and there are sensible news articles but most are junk.  Funnily enough there is an art lady on F/B Christa Zaat, who publishes lots of art work,mostly Dutch, but has been having trouble with F/B itself as some of the photos are blanked out as being troublesome but when you eventually click on them are innocent of any crime, perhaps she has too many photos on her site but it is interesting what automatic computers see as deletable stuff. 

And now a small video of the Calder Valley and the ways of slowing the water down as it starts at the top of the moors and then meanders down into the valley bottom below.  Chosen for its soft sibilant sound of water and its down to earth volunteers solving problems, and also of course for the woods that cloth the valleys and give the sights from the railway carriage such spectacular views.  I am sad that Paul Knight's year blog has come to an end as well.  He has explored, often with his son, the moors with their ruined farmhouses and their land and the woods that are so densely packed everywhere.  Perhaps he will make it into a book.











 Slowing The Flow Together (youtube.com)

8 comments:

  1. Thelma - I love the 'Lost Dogs' idea. I always think how distressing it must be for both dog and owner when a dog goes missing. I am watching a Channel 4 programme on the behaviour of animals in a Safari Park (on Thursdays at 8pm) and it has been so revealing on animal behaviour.
    As to your presents - what lovely thoughtful ones you have. Rather like the idea of weaving my own coffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone left a beautiful sheepdog tied to the post at Morrison's, think they went shopping and forgot him. Another little terrier was stolen, taken out of a car and whisked away, but was found a few miles down the road in another carpark. So the dogs round here have little adventures Pat, along with the cats and sheep who stray down to people's gardens.

      Delete
  2. With the alleged thriftiness of Yorkshire folk, it is surprising that "Weave Your Own Coffin" vouchers are not more popular as birthday gifts for senior citizens. I must confess that I did not watch all of the Calder Valley video so please forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising isn't it Y/P, but then money has to go round. I actually put these videos on for myself to look out. There is nothing more pleasant when looking back to come across old videos on the blog.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your birthday and your birthday gifts! Best wishes for a year filled with happy adventures, Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, not too many adventures though I think. I quite enjoy a peaceful life.

      Delete
  4. It seems the drones for lost dogs and microchips for lost cats are increasing the odds of getting them back to their owners. We had a cat reunited with its owner after a year in our town this week
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right Aril, the micro-chipping of cats finds them years after they go missing. Cats do seem to have nine lives to fall back on.

      Delete

Love having comments!