Tuesday, January 16, 2024

16th January 2024

I was reading through 'Careering Through Nature' and saw the little yellow winter Aconite photograph.  It seems so early for the winter flowers to come out but no, bravely they show their faces against the biting cold.  Pat has given a list of plants that are flowering in her garden.

Sadly I cannot comment on 'Through Nature', Google says it is something to do with something;).  Have I accidentally  tapped something that puts restrictions on my comments I wonder? Never mind.  As it seems to happen on other blogs I think it maybe to do with some outlying programme that has access to our computers.  Here I mean either Microsoft, Window, and Bing.  If I knew how they all constructed their programmes, which are always updating, I might solve it, or not.

The bright yellow aconite triggered a memory of one I saw in a church in Sinnington.  It has the brightness of a buttercup (it is in the same family) with a pretty little frill of leaves around the flower.  It belongs to a poisonous range of flowers.  Monkshood is one of them, but the poison resides in the root, so don't plant it next to parsnip.

Well the news this morning brought a cry of fury as I learnt that Trump is doing well in being chosen to appear in the runoff for the presidency.  Turned to Radio 3 immediately vowed never to listen to news again but of course it trickles in on every station.



So the brave aconite who had somehow strayed onto the path at the Sinnington church, brought back the memory of this cold day.

We have snow, just a light dusting, but its whiteness (like the old Omo advert) cleans everything up and gives a purity to the scene.  Over the road at the old people's block of flats (that is what the family calls it) half a dozen men in yellow high viz jackets potter around in the rather small carpark spreading salt or grit, who knows?  The plumber came this morning, we need a pipe jetting out in the cellars.  We both agreed we liked snow but our daughters this morning had both pulled up their noses at it.

12 comments:

  1. To think I had hoped we didn't have to talk about that ex-president anymore. I don't think that Biden stands a chance against his permanent 51%. Nobody can win - if they put him in prison there will be a civil war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I say, bring it. People threaten violence, but in the end, I believe it to be saber rattling and fearmongering. The bastard needs to be in prison. If it ever happens, I'll be cheering the day. The one thing that he has done is shown a very bright light on the rest of the rats. We know exactly who needs removed from their positions of power.

      Delete
  2. Political comment, do not read if it upsets you:
    Cannot access any blog posts atm Tom, so taking this from your blog will answer here. "Meanwhile the marches continue and the vast majority of them do not support Hamas, despite what some people will tell you."
    It is a shameful affair when people protest against the terrible crime of killing in Gaza, and it is ignored by the media and the government - a blanked out silence. 30 years hence we may be able to of course but then, what? We have a 'Cease Fire' protest group outside the town hall every Sunday. It is a mix of people, cars sound their horns as they drive past, yes we do indeed remember the likes of Scargill but trying to fit up people today as similar is wrong. As is voting Trump in, can't believe it.
    Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  3. He may have gotten over 50% of the those votes but that is not all of the voters in Iowa, just the Republican voters that participated in the caucus (around 110,000 total voters participated). I don't understand how anyone can vote for him but it's a long way to November 2024.
    I would rather focus on your lovely flowers that are poking up there. We have lots of snow and COLD here so no pretty flowers poking up anywhere yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ellen there is a long way to go before a decision is arrived at. Fingers crossed it won't be the yellow muppet. Think I shall pick up more on flowers in the following months. Thelma

      Delete
  4. Interesting that I have a few flowers out Thelma because my bungalow living quarters (rather than sleeping/computing quarters) faces due South and so completely shelters my back garden, (which is steeply uphill) from any sun which is only over the past two or three beginning to sneak in right at the top -where the snowdrops are. Where the primroses are there is no sun. It has snowed here all day but is - as I write this-slowly turning to rain. I am actually wearing my fur-lined boots today instead of shoes (refuse to wear slippers during the daytime) and have draped a shawl round my shoulders over thermal vest, pure wool jumper, loose fitting polo necked sweater. Central heating set at 22, one bar of electric fire (plus artificial flames) on. I am chilly. That little aconite, along with Si's usual Winter display which I look forward to every year is the one bright 'star' in what is a pretty depressing scene both World and Weather wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry - second line should read 'past two or three days'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat (me Thelma), Snowdrops and primroses like the woodlands as well so don't mind a bit of shade and of course when the sun came out anything in a south facing garden have a little fairy dance of their own. The one wild flower I loved was the wind anemone which used to grow up on the Bath Downs. When I looked up the little Winter Aconite in my plant book, it was on the same page as Marsh Marigolds and Green Hellebore and Stinking Hellebore, both early showing plants. It is as well as to remember the ancestors of our tamed plants
    occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the first celandine in flower today as we came back along the lane from our walk. Everywhere was crunchy and frosty and I was pleased to see the pregnant ewes in neighbouring fields have additional hay. At the foot of our old wall facing north, so no sun at this time of year, I have primrose plants already in flower. The wall is built of Petworth stone and lies between our cottage and the lane and is very beautiful. At this time of year I sprinkle seeds into the cracks and crevices on the top of the wall for the tiny birds. Today we’ve had robins and wrens, goldfinches, blue tits, coal tits and long tailed tits, pied wagtails and a nut hatch all tucking in. Very important when feeding the birds that they have access to water so I’m also putting on the wall plant saucers filled with warm water. Meanwhile the blackbirds and thrushes are busy eating the last of crab apples, rose hips and hawthorn berries and rifling through the kitchen waste compost that I put around the roses a few weeks ago. I am enjoying this cold spell. A neighbour told us his garden thermometer measured minus 5 degrees Celsius last night! Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am not sure I am enjoying the cold weather. But it is good to hear about all the birds you see in your part of the world. Also that you feed them, which I think is so important this time of the year. Celandine is another one of those flowers with a shine on its petals. In the Bath garden, it would edge the whole garden at the sides and then would suddenly disappear. I notice in the bird forums, that occasional exotic birds are appearing as well, probably blown in by some wind.

    Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been quite cold here, and we have another tree blown down at the new build. Not ON anything, thankfully. Somehow it has even managed to fall the opposite direction of the driveway! I envy you those fierce little flowers! You can believe that I will be looking for such plants when I begin to put together a garden at the new house. Chin up, Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots to look forward to when you eventually move into the new house. Gardens take a long time to come to fruition though but it will all be exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!