Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Sayings



“In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself." - Arthur Schopenhaur 

I like solitude, though as a person I am supposed to crave human companionship but though I enjoy having people around me those moments of being alone with soft music playing on the radio brings peace and quiet.  It is like listening to the blackbird at the moment, chattering his heart out and greeting the day.

That is why I like the above quotation, we are blessed with active minds, some might say overactive but it is like carrying an enormous book in one's head.  The older one grows* there is more accumulated, so that brief pictures pass through the mind, and luckily they are happy memories mostly. 

Today Sutton Bank, overlooking the Gormire Pool.  Where once a monk turned into the devil and sent a young man and his horse over the cliff edge to the pool below. 

Gormire Lake from Sutton Bank - copyright Michael Hutchinson Geo.

On this particular journey of the mind, I asked the question did William Wordsworth write about solitude, for he and his sister Dorothy walked this area from Thirsk, through Helmsley, Kirbymoorside and other places, when they were on their way to his sister's friend Mary and the marriage between Mary and William. Interesting information can be found here on Dorothy's diary keeping.

Then there is the following poem by Margaret Atwood.  Clear in its simplicity, yet laughing gently at the fact of getting old and the young not knowing what a 'polaroid' photo was.  Those of us who had one bitterly regret the fading of these photos but does it really matter?

*As for age, next week I turn a decade, 80 years old to be precise.  In fairly good health with my family around me, who reckon I should live to a 100 - God forbid!


Margaret Atwood reading  her poem 'Dearly'






11 comments:

  1. I wonder how long I will live and wish I knew so I would know how to budget my money. :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the simple answer is, don't spend too much, just in case Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice! Solitude. I have always enjoyed my solitude but the world has become so loud and angry and impatient that I find solitude necessary. Without it, I find that I am just too sad. Perhaps it just goes with aging. I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the creatures who breaks the sound barrier and solitude is of course Mollie my cat. Deaf she maybe but dumb she is not Debby. But for so many people imprisoned in various institutions I suspect the arrival of noise and food is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solitude must be of one's own choice, otherwise it is imprisonment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soft music on the radio would be too loud for me. If music is on I listen to it. If not, I don't want my attention stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Radio 3 can have terrible music of course, Trelawney on Sunday morning is good though. They bring in sounds from nature as well. Silence and solitude do not always go together. A room with a window on the world will have all sort of noises that creep in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS Margaret Atwood's poem made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Debby, 'Dearly Beloved' sums up our feelings as we grow older, Atwood potters through her memories with gentle ease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always enjoyed my own company. Crowds and sustained noise I find stressful, although I can enjoy small group conversations and discussions. After time with others or at a concert or outing I need time alone to process events and feel refreshed. I know that many people find that odd!
    I will be 80 in two months time--it seems incredible! In spite of arthritic creakings I don't know quite how to 'be old.'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful poem and beautiful images. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!