Monday, November 18, 2013

Brown

The header is the maple tree flinging out one last burst of colour before the leaves fall, so a theme of brown comes to mind, a colour enlivened by the yellows and oranges of Autumn but I do not necessarily like, my love of course does! One or two of the scrolls that hang up in the house are on a background of brown, one has evil creatures, probably 'hungry ghosts' who are terrible.  The one hanging up in the studio is on the risque side, probably due to the fact that the British Museum's 'Japanese Erotica' show is on.  We saw some of the prints when we were there a couple of months ago being prepared but we are not going to see the exhibition... I shall put two photos on of the dark scrolls but not of the other;), the old scrolls used real minerals, somewhere on this blog I have taken photos of the cases of the dyes, both mineral and insect, and apparently one case is medicinal.
The wool was a pleasure to spin as  there was silk mixed in with the merino, and I am spinning tussah silk at the moment to be plied with merino wool and then dyed.




Plovers flying against a rising sun

Mixed colour top ready for spinning

Spun

There was only 200 grams and I made gloves and a hat.

Brown bread fresh from the oven






http://wovember.com/2013/11/18/cecilia-on-working-with-wool/

5 comments:

  1. I am hungry from the bread photograph and green with envy at that gorgeous brown wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bread is a a necessity, I feel secure once I have baked a loaf ;).

      Delete
    2. Me too! I can't hold off from lunch any longer....lovely post Thelma.

      Delete
  2. Brown in its warmer shades is good--a touch of gold as in your header photo or leaning toward the russet shades. I use those colors in my quilts. Greyed browns can be rather sad.
    Nothing more inviting than a nicely browned loaf from the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In dyeing wool, you often get 'sad' colours, especially if you use iron. Funnily enough the weather has turned colder over night burnishing the leaves on the maple even darker.

      Delete

Love having comments!