Monday, March 30, 2015

Do they exist?




In Iceland Respect the Elves - or Else

I had read this piece of news last week, and smiled at the elves holding up the building of a road for eight years. Illogical actions and fairy tales meld nicely together.  Of course it is similar in Ireland, read Joyce and you will many such stories of fairies and elves, and my favourite, changeling babies.
So today I pull out my fairies book, illustrated by Brian Froud and Alan Lee, two great illustrators. My copy of the book has suffered the rigours of time and Gnomes illustrated by Rien Pooiavlier, a Norwegian, has practically fallen to pieces.
But of course it reminded me of my favourite place,  which of course has all the things fairies, elves and dwarfs need.  Fly agaric mushrooms, old trees, especially the magical rowans and a sparkling brown beck running over the rocks, what more could the fairies ask for?

One of my rather shaky videos, short and sunlight but gnarled trees, running water and the bracken enclosing magical places, and of course still photos that capture forever the moment of  'time'.





4 comments:

  1. Just because I can't see any fairies in these photographs then it doesn't mean they aren't there - maybe you need a special eye to see them. Do you know The Little Grey Men by BB? If anyone believed in fairies he certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat you started me on a blog, and have just pulled out The Little Grey Men to read once more, as a one time miniaturist one cannot but believe in the little people ;)

      Delete
  2. We are strangely synchronistic right now. I am having to move furniture (and thus books!) around and came across several books on Fairies/Faeries - Janet Bord's The Traveller's Guide to Fairy Sites and Fairy Paths and Spirit Roads by Paul Devereaux. I have also, says she, hanging her head in shame, just come across your copy of Robert McFarlane's The Old Ways. Many grovelling apoligies. I will put it in the post to you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not mean you to feel guilty Jennie about the books, in fact I said you could keep it because I had fully meant to visit Wales this year but other things might stop a visit, AnywayI think I shall be quite happy for the book back, possessive person that I am;)
      Both of you had started me off on the books I collect, many are children's books, but not as many as I would want....

      Delete

Love having comments!