Friday, March 15, 2024

15th March 2024

It was a fish and chip night last night.  Andrew collected them on the way down from the station.  Matilda also turned up, Lillie was of course at scouts.  My daughter stricken with a migraine once more.  So a slightly full house.  Everyone having their own itinerary.  

Also a delivery at 7 o clock from Morrisons and the dustbin to be put out and then the recycling also.  We have a new regime as far as recycling goes.  Black box -glass and brown cardboard.  White sack - tins and plastic. Brown plastic lidded box - food waste.  You need three 'A' levels at least to sort out your 'brown' from your 'tetra'!

My solution just stop wrapping everything up and less of everything to tempt our palates with. 

As everyone discussed their options for the weekend, Matilda off to Liverpool to see her boyfriend - a drummer, and more seriously a maths teacher.  I piped up, well actually I shall be going to a talk at the Folklore Centre - Suzanne Owen, Is Druidry an Indigenous Religion.  Just found her website about religious discussion so a few podcasts to listen to today.

I also have a promise of being taken to Shibden Hall on Easter Monday. The hall is partly Elizabethan and was the home of Anne Lister in early 19th century - The first modern lesbian it is recorded, there was a television programme (Gentleman George) about her but I never watched it. 

Shibden Hall from Geograph

There are various attractions at the hall but it seems rather countrified and we haven't got a car ;) though the address reads it is Halifax.  That tower is a later addition.  I heard yesterday that there is a Barbara Hepworth museum at Wakefield with plenty of modern sculptures, the website show a bright clean space for the various exhibitions, which looks interesting.  It's not all funny language - Well I'll go t'foot or our stairs - Up North is quite cultured, since a lot of the great writers and artists came from here.........

Yesterday I got Wordle in two tries, not boasting but Andrew asked how I had got from 'swear' to 'since' in two tries. And I couldn't remember but then it came this morning. The letter S at the beginning was green, so I thought to put in a vowel which was I, since, of course was the first word that came to mind.  Will I ever get it in one try? 😎

12 comments:

  1. Barbara Hepworth? Sounds familiar. I think I read a bit about her many years ago. Lived at St Ives as I recall.
    I remember in the early noughties when we were in England taking bottles to the recycling station in Hexham where we had to sort the brown glass from the green glass. We then had rather ordinary fish and chips at a cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the big bins, now it is all home recycling and collection each week and quite a lot of people don't do it. Fish and chips I have decided can only be good when you are starving hungry, our F/C shop is not bad he gives you all the fried batter bits as well but I find it is rather yuk.

      Delete
  2. I watched that drama based on Anne Lister and I sort of enjoyed it. That tower certainly looks like a later edition! You have lived in Bath so You obviously know about the obsession with Druidry amongst the 18thc. antiquaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John Wood and Stanton Drew Stone Circle he wrote a book about it didn't he? I think The Circus dimensions are the dimensions of Stonehenge. Druidism became a sort of cult from the 18th century on.

      Delete
  3. In Kirklees, we still have just one recycling bin for everything, all mixed up. It makes things easier, but I can't help thinking that most of it goes in the incinerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose it is better burning it than throwing it into the sea Tasker.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, same to you to, the weather is definitely warming up.

      Delete
  5. You live in such a multi-generational household Thelma - I am sure your thinking is more up to date than mine!!
    I can no longer go out but I am watching a fascinating programme on restoration of objects at the V and A - wonderfulstuff. Enjoy your Easter outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in multi-generational households there is scope for argument over many subjects but I hold my own Pat!

      Delete
  6. You'll love Shibden Hall but from memory, it's a goodly walk from the town. Perhaps a taxi? I watched the series too, with her striding manfully about. The actress said it took quite a while to turn the Lister Walk off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it will have to be a Uber then Jennie. Shibden Hall looks quite small but it does have collections I believe.

      Delete

Love having comments!