Friday, March 22, 2024

22th March 2024

I wait: My nerves slightly on edge, okay all I am doing is going for my appointment at the opticians, but will the bus get me there on time I panic.  We will see. Also two parcels are coming this morning, I have left a plastic box with lid for them to go into at the back door.

The wind is chill coming down from the North, there is talk of snow sometime - normal weather.  Matilda left for London yesterday moaning about the cold.  I pointed out maybe the bare midriff did not help, but fashion rules in this house, except of course me.

Lillie has just gone off to Rochdale, it is the last evening of the college's play - Sweeney Todd, we have hardly seen her this week, as she leaves early and comes back at 10 in the evening.  She takes an Uber every night, her mum is not happy with her walking through the streets of Rochdale for an unreliable bus.

I look round the room which is a cluttered mess of my stuff but...if...I was tidy there would be nothing to do or read.  Patchwork, knitting and reading are I consider  my hobbies.  

Then of course the computer, the saga of the church graves still goes on.  The new vicar was in a past life a barrister so she should know the law of the church.  The volunteers who have worked hard at tidying the graves, are now contemplating removing one large plant stand and the gravel which they laid so neatly.  Must admit it is all intriguing, after all it measures out into what will happen to our redundant churches.

We wander round the lichen clad gravestones with a feeling of awe but they are falling into slow decay, the wording indistinct with time as are the people who occupy them.  God's Acre should be host to the wilderness of native plants, tidy grave yards are a bore and sadly take up land, is that why we cremate and have our ashes thrown to the wind I wonder.

Well on that dour note I shall leave for the bus ;)


 

13 comments:

  1. As one ages contemplation plays such a large part in one's life doesn't it. At least it is better than up to date New bulletins at present. Hope opticians not too bad,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an excellent optician, explained all the developments that have happened to my eye and gives me choices. Have to fork out for a couple of lenses for both pairs of glasses. The journey on the bus is always a revelation though. The valley stands high on either side and in its narrow curve river, canal, railway, road and just a few terraced houses every now and then appear. Not walking country ;)

      Delete
  2. I am not sure if there are more rules attached to church graves or if they are more strictly enforced than most others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it seems you have to go to the bishop of the Diocese for altering things. It is not exactly the Vatican of course but I suppose it comes under the label of private land belonging to the church Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have dealt with Diocese (s?) quite a lot in the past and despite permissions being given on something which looks like parchment with a huge seal beneath, they are usually quite accommodating.

      Delete
  4. Glad to read that the optician's visit went smoothly. Now you can spend the weekend relaxing, reading, knitting... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Pat Ellen, she is a very good optician. It is a modern well setup place, unfortunately could not do any shopping as I had to rush back for the delivery of parcels.

      Delete
  5. My children are not happy that I wish to be cremated. I don't want a grave. I accept the fact that I have led a quiet life and once my children are gone, and my grandchildren, there will be no one to have a memory of me. My grave will become overgrown and unkempt and irrelevant. I'd rather become part of a lilac bush, and every spring come back to add to the celebration of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well as they say romantically Debby about cremation that you are returned to the Universe as star dust. I think as well as to what we do with our remains belongs to us and is our decision. Just threaten to haunt them if they don't do as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pleased to hear that the optician's appointment went as well as could have been expected. I guess that people opt for burials in the hope that they will be remembered deep into the future but after a hundred years, most graves are unvisited and even the words are hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate to be buried in one of the large municipal cemeteries, they seem so cold. I knew a gravedigger in the village and the stories he told me would 'make you turn in your grave!' ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh dear! Is our Thelma still stuck riding a bus somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Debby, that sudden anonymous me arrived again without a word to write about ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!