Tuesday, March 19, 2024

19th March 2024




Tidying up my photos. Why the miniature hats, well I have just filed my Bath garden photos in there, or at least some of my favourite of the old garden.  I grew everything close together, so that the garden buzzed with life and insects, I bought yards  of trellising to hold my roses and honeysuckles. Apple trees, jostled in among them, a soft fruit patch with more often or not my two hens scrumping the currants.  I had created, through a lot of work, my paradise.  Now I could not do it but at least I can look back, and think how the hell did I do all that, with students and family to look after as well.  The miniature hat shop is somewhere in this house in Lillie's room and I shall once more repair it.  
I think because the garden was in a valley, where once a stream had laced its way through, creating a mill pond further down the valley, that everything grew so well.  I also know that my garden no longer exists as it has been tidied out into what gardens are supposed to look like today.
I can never go back to the apple trees.


The hats are made of felt, the shape moulded on the rounded handle of a screwdriver, and then decoration is added.


I see foxgloves, geraniums, nicotiana



Penstemons

 
Campanulas

Honeysuckle

Clematis

The two ponds, heavily overshadowed by the plants.  The reeds transplanted from other parts of the garden.  Damselflies, dragonflies congregated in this area.




This was the small 'wild' part, with Spanish bluebells and the cow parsley with its honey flavoured  smell.

Matilda is here this week, we met Lucian her boyfriend yesterday, he is gorgeous, my daughter is so pleased with him ;). Matilda is also drawing to an end with her studies this year.  I could not over a period of time remember Lucian's name.  So my method was to think of the devil, go to Lucifer than get Lucian in my head.  I came across a batch of photos of Matilda and Ben acting up for the camera and I might put those on tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. What an absolutely stunning garden Thelma. Just my style - beautifully overgrown and crammed together like a true cottage garden. Happy memories for you.

    Those tiny hats too. You really are good at making things in miniature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right Jennie happy memories captured. I never thought of it as a cottage garden, the front was small and was a host to lavender and many aquilegias that bred and created new colours. As for miniature making I miss it but there is only so much one can do ;)

      Delete
  2. A truly beautiful garden. I find it's not good to find out what people have done with a lovingly created garden. I still haven't forgiven the people who bought our farmhouse and tore down the mature wisteria along wit the honeysuckle and roses climbing up the house wall. I dread to think what they did to the rest of the garden. The place was back on the market so maybe the next people would have been better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of 'doing up' of houses to sell on for profit Ruta, I think this house was also done over. It is best not to go back and weep. I remember, and this is going back along way, but when we bought this Bath house, the previous owner came back with some spare tiles - just for a look - and I had just finished painting out all the orange paint she had liberally splashed around.

      Delete
  3. You certainly had a beautiful garden, Thelma. It is nice you have these lovely photos to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with photos Ellen they need sorting into dates, time or holiday, landscapes and megalithic stones. Which is all very boring.

      Delete
  4. Oh Thelma. I am so envious of all the flowers. It is (once again) snowing. Oh my gosh. I wouldn't dare to pair Lucifer with Lucien. Because it is only a matter of time before I slip up and call him Lucifer. I'd have to think of 'I Love Lucy-Ann'. Even if I slipped up and called him Lucy Ann, he'd think it was a mispronounciation. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgetting words is annoying Debby, probably to do with getting older. I remember the programme 'I Love Lucy' she was very witty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Thelma, one of the joys of the blog world for me is having a good look at the gardens of fellow bloggers, for I live in a small apartment with just a couple of potted green things. Even if this was your former garden, it was a real beauty and totally worthy of showcasing, even in remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, thank you for that Pipistrello. I have always seen my blog as a record of my life and what is perhaps going through my brain at the time. I know family read it and that I must be careful, but I am also recording for them some things that they know well and they definitely enjoy it. And is it not wonderful that the internet gives us the opportunity of a digital diary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been a heavenly-scented garden. I think I recognise the buildings behind the Clematis. Any clues?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes the little row of houses before the pub on the hill down to the village. Before our house was built, there was a footpath from those houses across to Weston Lane which went through the garden at one stage and over a small bridge.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!