Sunday, January 31, 2016

Collecting



And here by the path on Hoar Stones Brow, 
I find a large, black feather. Crow rudder. 
The only testimony – on this blank morning –
 that the air bore something on its back.

 Lifted high on its shoulders. Singing.


Richard Skelton



Illustration by David McConochie Photograph: The Art Market

Collecting; this time Richard Skelton, language and video;  I have been reading, the storms hardly conducive to anything else.  Came across this interesting article about how eerie the landscape can be, written by Macfarlane and it set me thinking, mostly about fear.  Well fear is something I experience in my life, basically it is just to do with meeting people but I am never fearful in the outside world, the trees, rivers and the great industrialised farmed fields round here never provoke thoughts of ghosts.  Ghost live on the page, we invoke them with our imagination, when I go out at night to close the hens coop, I often look out over the grave stones and wonder about the people lying there, their lives, their time on this earth but it is curiosity nothing more.  
The book I am reading, "Candlenight" by Phil Rickman, has a scary theme but then it is fiction, a delicious need to frighten oneself! And strangely part of the plot is English people in Wales, and learning the Welsh language.It seems a long time ago when 'English' holiday homes were set alight by the Welsh, now the Welsh language is part of the curriculum and life seems to have quietened down.

The other link was how to put on an Iron Age torc, the article in a blog on the British Museum site.  I suspect this was mostly male jewellery with perhaps powerful leader females wearing them as badges of office.



6 comments:

  1. I know that some of the discarnate do indeed go wandering from time to time. There is no need to feel fear though unless you happen to enjoy the sensation. For being dead is just an extension of life only in a different form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder though if you have to believe in wandering souls for them to make themselves known to you? Truth is I would probably love to meet a ghost but never have, though have has some unusual premonitions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a person who lives in a large house where footsteps can be heard going across the floor in the room above and he seems not to notice even when his guests are looking up. Probably not a case of believing or not, more of an individuals sensitivity, you might one day have your wish fulfilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I know LS's brother (Haunted Wiltshire blog) has studied ghosts for a long time and he has still not met one. So perhaps what we experience is a piece of old time caught up in our modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The farmer came past just as I was reading your post and he was absolutely fascinated by your picture which he thought was a stag on ground just below the ridge. He commented on the bird perching in the stag's antlers. A real case of a Gestalt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the tree is what is called a 'stag branched' tree, the painting reflects the moodiness of the landscape. The farmer is perfectly right it does look like a real stag under the ridge...

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!