Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thursday


Fog, fog and more fog, we have stayed at home these last few days.  Lucy has been hobbling around taking her medicine, why do they hand out horse sized pills for dogs?  She hates the cold weather and will only go out to do what needs to be done and then comes galloping in skidding across the kitchen floor.

Look at those nails

Actually the sun came out yesterday afternoon, so I decided to start emptying the compost, we have a mole in the garden and the large flower bed has suddenly started to look very 'dug', little holes appearing in it.  There are moles everywhere on the green, in the fields, and I am hoping they don't eat all the expensive bulbs I have planted.  The thought of the coming gardening year always excites me, starting plants, should I get a greenhouse, or will plugs of tomato plants do?  My mind always dances around flowers and the buzz of bees, now sadly in danger.  Will we in the end have little oasis's of gardens in which the protected honey and bumble bee survive?
Finished my last Phil Rickman's book yesterday late afternoon, sat in my armchair opposite the church window and a frisson of fear went down my spine as I looked at the church and thought of the 'undead', a subject that Rickman had been writing about.  Thoughts of the last burial there, an extra large coffin apparently so the grave digger said.


Which reminds me of another grave digger I read about the other day.  He had found several beautiful Saxon brooches in 1977 but had not thought much of them, and so had put them in his lunch box with his address and name on them and they lay undiscovered in the vestry chest until 1980 when the new vicar realised what they were.  The story ends happily with the grave digger being paid a handsome sum of money for the treasure trove he had unearthed.


6 comments:

  1. Those beautiful brooches Thelma.
    Yes, moles are particularly active this year round here too. They are such sweet little creatures = it is a shame they create so much havoc. The farmer is always intent upon getting rid of them and sets traps, but rarely catches one (three quarters of me is rather pleased at this).
    I have a large patch of aconites out just under the sitting room window - what pleasure they give me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the mating time for moles perhaps, they have dug up the verge outside the garden as well. I love aconites but need more beds, think I shall have to get someone to dig a bed or two ;). Perhaps the church gardeners who trimmed the great yew that overhangs our path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please check your web service as I am getting a notice on my laptop that this site is "trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources" It may be nothing but I thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tabor it is something to do with Chrome, not sure whether it is important, could be to do with dodgy spam, which actually gets caught by blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That enlarged mole is rather a frightening creature--imagine if they should be the size of a cat!
    Our last place had colonies of moles. I was digging a new garden spot one day and the earth near my spade heaved and a mole trundled into the daylight.
    The cats were very aware of the underground perambulations and I often saw one intently prodding at the ground or sitting patiently above one of the little holes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon, they must be very strong to muscle their way through the earth. Cannot imagine a cat going for a mole, although I believe moles are blind. Once saw a mole catcher inserting traps up on the downs next to the race course, it was a 'pincher' type felt sorry for the little creatures.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!