Thursday, August 31, 2017

End of August

The Street


Yesterday I noted that on the  30th August 1930, that the St.Kilda islanders left the island for good, leaving their homes in the ruinous state you find today - a sad moment for them, though of course St.Kilda has now become a tourist hotspot.

A few photos from the garden, hens are laying well, nasturtiums, how I love this bright little flower as it rollicks through everything.  The hens jump up and eat the lower blackberries which they seem to love.

the bright orange of nasturtiums, and a handful of blackberries from the garden

tomato salad?

omelette tonight

Fennel seeding

sedums but no butterflies

purple mallows and white, grown from seed

Jacob's ladder has mysteriously appeared

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Except my beans which needed watering ln a regular basis, something I was not able to do with this ankle, but still there is next year to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. Abundance. I wish my nasturtiums could survive the bugs and heat, but they only grow sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not good, they grow so gracefully through other plants, and as long as the colours do not clash produce a vibrant element of colour to a quiet spot.

      Delete
  3. I love nasturtiums too, especially the deep orange ones. Also I do love plants which suddenly pop up and you don't know where they have come from. A clump of Solomon's Seal appeared in my garden a few years ago - I love it but don't ever remember planting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it is the birds that bring the seed and drop it actually looking at the photo of the so-called Jacob's ladder I see it has tendrils, a vetch maybe?

      Delete
  4. I was thinking you have a 'vetch' that has self-seeded--sometimes hard to tell from a photo. I had lovely nasturtiums last year, but very straggling this summer--one has popped up from a ripe seed but probably won't bloom before frost.
    Your photo of St. Kilda is prompting me to read a bit about the place--what did we do before wikipedia was a click away.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, St.Kilda is a fascinating place but sad, apparently the last living person who lived on the island is 94. A friend was saying that they did not use boats and therefore had limited access to fishing. They killed the young seabirds over the cliffs, a very dangerous occupation but it kept them in food over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whiled away an hour reading about St. Kilda--fascinating, sad, as you say--not a place I can imagine living.

      Delete

Love having comments!