Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Tuesday 28th August

Today has dawned warm and sunny, there is talk of 'Autumn - seasons of mist and mellow fruitfulness'.  But August is not yet out, and though the fruit hangs heavy on the trees, it is not yet picked. 
I have gathered things to do, Sashiko stitch work, wool for knitting, and patchwork for the cooler months.  You may not remember but I sent off for a dolls house, which unfortunately I found very difficult to put together, but I shall persevere, even if it doesn't have a front, a very long time project!

My children, who are of course grown up, are well, Mark home with his friend last evening,  Karen home from a visit to Bath and a seedy nightclub, where her friends had a 1990s night out.  So the world keeps it even keel.  The price of food is set to go up but it does not look too serious.  There is talk of shortage because of the weather we have had over Winter and Summer, but we should count ourselves lucky that there is indeed enough food to eat,  I am sure in the 70s that more of our spending was on food, though it was more limited in choice.

I have been contemplating buying another print to reflect the seasons, Colin Blanchard comes to mind but the one I like has sold out.  Bils and Rye our local gallery has a splendid array, though very expensive paintings on display, all rather contemporary.....

Must photograph some things as well........

4 comments:

  1. I agree about food to eat and us being lucky Thelma - we have never had to go hungry here and have no concept of what it must be like. My first husband was a POW in Thailand and would never again eat rice once he came home.
    I think one of the things now that has put the price of food up is that we watch programmes on TV which introduce us to new foods and we feel an urge to try them (Quinoa is an example). I love tabbouleh and often make it for myself but I am sure if my mother had ever put it in front of my father he would not have eaten it. We had what was ready in the garden day in and day out - vegetables at lunch time with a small amount of meat eked out and for tea things like lettuce and/or tomato sandwiches on home baked bread - and always home made cake - I don't ever remember eating what my mother scathingly called 'bought cake'.
    Re doll's house - I have always rather fancied buying one and 'furnishing' it and now I wonder whether i have left it too late. Sometimes there are one or two for sale at Tennants (and often with the furniture too) and I think about buying one. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount of food programmes on how to cook is staggering on tv. I find with the newspapers that they name exotic sauces and things that one will never find in the Co-Op ;). I can't remember much of what we ate as children, remember tomato sauce sandwiches and ovaltine, and spaghetti on toast. My grandfather also shot and fished, so we would often have a rabbit hanging (dead of course) in the garage and occasionally the fridge full of salmon. But some things I remember with disgust, stuffed hearts, brawn and hocks in pea soup, and liver never did anything for me!

      Delete
  2. Interesting what you say on my post about not particularly liking Wendy Cope. I usually choose what the rest of the group call 'serious' stuff, because that is what I like. I do like many of the 'modern' poets too but they don't go down well. I put the Cope in for this afternoon because I am making the group listen to Burnt Norton and I thought it would be a bit of light relief. She ie not mycup ot tea either.
    Thinking about what you wrote today and adding to my reply above - the trouble with buying these 'fancy' things to put in new recipes - if you are not sensible you spend the earth on the stuff, it goes to the back of the cupboard and you discover it again after its sell by date. Have just this minute found an out of date cous-cous when cleaning out the food cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Pat I have never read her, but went and looked at her poem. You know what made me cross the other day;) was the interviewer on 'Today' saying about carrots going up. In a slightly scoffing voice remarked that the price increase was not that much, I immediately thought, no especially if you are earning £400,000 a year! Mind you carrots have always been cheap, Lucy loves them.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!