Friday, August 17, 2018

Friday 17th August

jam and Jerusalem rose in its second bloom, absolutely falling over itself to bloom, AND it doesn't get black spot.  Created for a Chesire Branch of Women's Institute, it is gorgeous.






Funny thing happened yesterday, Paul had ordered some Japanese foodstuff from the Japan Centre, in the order was a bottle of sake.  Email came yesterday, could they have proof of identity because of the alcoholic nature of the Sake.  Irate Paul phones up, what the hell, etc,etc, (poor girl) but she sticks to her guns, photo or else, a ruling by the way that had only happened the day before.  Second email comes through, from the manager, we will not be sending the Sake, obviously just as irate as Paul.
We have a  friend coming over from Hawai soon, who sells Sake so it is not going to be a problem, especially as I don't like it....
Two walks today for Lucy, in an effort to tire her out, we went to Sinnington and walked up to the church, meeting other dog walkers on the way.  I nearly (and Lucy) got killed by a speeding lorry coming round the bend of the church as I pulled out in my car. Then I met a tractor round a bend, luckily we were both going slow, as he turned his tractor into a field.  It's dangerous driving these days.

ruined cottage, the land has just been sold.

part of the Benedictine monastery

The fields are shorn

When my ankle gets really better I shall explore this wood.

The church is at the top of the hill and has Saxon bits and pieces of stone in its fabric

You can just see the ring of hills that encompass the Vale of Pickering

6 comments:

  1. When I was in our local W I (which has since died out because so many of our members died off!) we were invited to Sinnington W I and I remember what a pretty village it was - isn't there a beck running through it? I also remember delicious trifles served up with the tea.
    That Jam and Jerusalem rose is wonderful - the leaves are so healthy and shiny. Walking around here looking in front gardens I have noticed how unhealthy most roses are - there is a lot of black spot about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the beck at Sinnington was almost dry. Sinnington is pretty most of the village is round the beck but the church, the hall and the monastic house were all on the top of the hill, showing their age of course.

      Delete
  2. What a magnificent rose bush. I have very little luck with roses and the two I have are plagued with black spot. I have to admit that I have not taken very good care of them this year because of our awful weather.

    I had Sake one night years ago. It was memorable in the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black spot is a devil, some of my roses have it as well, though I spray. We used to have a Sake ceremony in spring when the cherry blossom is out, but no cherry trees in this garden, you drink it warm and fill each other's cup. They are very pretty the little cups.

      Delete
  3. How odd that you were refused the Sake part of the order - because Paul couldn't prove his age on line?! I imagine it is not cheap and if someone was ordering it purely to get blotto surely they would go to their local supermarket instead?

    That's a beautiful rose and you have obviously fed it well (must give mine some Blood, Fish and Bone now that autumn approaches) - so many blooms. It is obviously very happy with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to your first sentence, hardly likely to get drunk on one bottle coming through the post! Not sure I fed that rose, must be the weather hot sun and then rain...

      Delete

Love having comments!