Wednesday, August 1, 2018

We are off to Whitby

Only for the day to see my family on holiday there.  Whitby is a bubbling effervescent, slightly smelly town of bustling people on holiday.  It smells of course of fish and chips, the one meal England is justly proud of.  Actually I should say Great Britain encompassing our neighbours, the Welsh, the Irish and the Scottish but I am not sure they have embraced the chippy as they have here.
In Whitby there are many chippy shops and restaurant the ultimate being the Magpie Cafe where people queue outside to get in.  And not just f/c but beautiful fish dishes. Could I have put c/f no because it is not the right way round, which reminds me of this!


Anyway to return to Whitby and fish and chips, I once travelled on the train with someone who owned one of the best large restaurants serving the delicacy, and she told me that her son had put his hand into the boiling hot oil, the thought still makes my stomach turn.  Anyway as we arrived in the depths of a wintry snow scene and no buses and she gave me a lift from Scarborough station to Whitby.  Snow on the moors means that the roads are normally closed, especially over the moors road from Pickering, the Saltergate Hill is treacherous.  A lovely blog on the derelict Inn that sits near the bottom of Saltergate Hill.

6 comments:

  1. Have a lovely day in Whitby Thelma. I haven't been for a few years now - those steps defeat me (but I love The Magpie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quick Pat, getting quite excited about it just about to put a 'piece of interesting information' about Saltergate on, a blog on its history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much prefer Sandsend.Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Sandsend is flat, my ankle played up with all the steps and cobbles of Whitby.

      Delete
  4. Love Whitby!!! Also love Sandsend - walked Whitby to Sandsend via the beach last year on the hottest day of the year! ! Caught a bus back though.
    Have a lovely day on "Yorkshire Day ".
    P.S. Such a shame that the pub on the moors has been left. If only we could afford to buy it.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we sat on the rocks under the abbey and listened to someone singing 'Ilka Moor Baht 'At' on the other side of the pier, actually a favourite song, especially for Yorkshire Day. I am not sure Saltergate Inn is even feasibly possible anymore, given its position to the road and car parking and the building is in a terrible state.

      Delete

Love having comments!