Monday, August 26, 2019

Narrating the day

In the spirit of trying to write something daily, I take some photos and write about them.
The first is Lucy playing her favourite game which is to place her feet on the skirting board and roll from one side to the other.  She does this most evenings. She had one of her 'hysterical' days before this so it was a relief to see her return to normal.


The second is the decision to get rid of the Georgian dolls house and downsize some of my stuff.  I think I will give it to the teacher who took the unmade one.

not for sale!

At the moment I am faced with moving furniture out of the downstair's room which we call a library, this to make into a bedroom for Paul, it will become dangerous for him to walk up and down the stairs.  His illness is permanent and there will be a lot of changes in our lives but he was cheerful at the hospital yesterday.
I find the 'marketplace' on Facebook very good for getting rid of stuff, the desk will go on Friday to someone who lives in Saltburn, price it right (eg hardly any money) and the goods fly off the shelf!

The families on both sides have pulled round, on Paul's side they hardly communicated but now keep in touch by email.  On my side, well my two, are there for me always for which I am permanently grateful.

So as a last photo I shall show four donkeys in Cornwall in a rather muddy cold field but obviously ready for a carrot or two.  And the sad tale of the little sparrow who hurt his wing but managed to fly up to the bird feeder, where he would sit for several minutes meditating on life.  Foolish creature has now disappeared and the moral of the story is meditating can be dangerous when you are a sparrow.


10 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Paul - good to hear that your family have rallied round. I know from experience how comforting (and helpful) it is to have friends and family there in the background for support.
    I adore that doll's house. It was always one of my dreams to buy one and spend my twilight years working on it. But now that I have Essential Tremor I find even holding a needle difficult.
    Have a good day - I hope you are not finding this hot weather too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, One thing not gardening during the middle of the day, though I tackled cutting the buddleia bush early this morning, it had grown furiously long and lanky. The dolls house is a Bath design, bought from the Tridias (no longer with us) toy shop which was a delight, probably getting on for forty years ago.
      Paul is a fighter, and all we can both do is adapt to the situation.

      Delete
  2. The health and mobility changes appearing as we age are more or less daunting. We designed this current [hopefully last] house with that in mind. Although it has two stories [against the advice of our daughter] with very few changes one could stay comfortably on either level.
    I wish you and Paul courage to deal with the ups and downs of adjustment.
    Animals are so funny--exasperating and amusing in almost equal amounts--and such good company--even those that live outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, thank you for your good wishes. Yes you are right, I did think of a Stannah stair lift but am not sure of that. I thought you were both brave in building your own house, but it is a marvellous success, and when a problem occurs I think we have to find a solution, nothing is insurmountable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your challenge. Glad that Paul is in good spirits as that can help a lot. Change is inevitable and we must march on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do march on but with very sad hearts Tabor.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to read that Paul’s condition is permanent. Adjusting to this new life is hard, but we strong women get through it, often with many tears but taking care of what has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very up and down at the moment Arleen, sad times and then happiness as he recognises me and talks.

      Delete
  6. To cope with his condition will it be okay for Paul to have a pint of bitter from the pub next door once in a while? I would be glad to buy him a pint. In this phase of your life, you will need to take care of yourself as you look after him. Would a wedding beermat be helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No he must never ever drink again YP. This is a strange and miserable part of my life at the moment, so tears are readily on hand. Thanks for the offer of a beer mug, not sure about it, perhaps yes.

      Delete

Love having comments!