Saturday, October 16, 2021

16th October 2021

 Writing every day does become irksome but it keeps the brain moving.  Today I have given my clever compass to Lillie, she is doing her Duke of Edinburgh Award in a couple of weeks.  She sussed it in a minute!  The day starts with my daughter coming into my room to chat, the friends who she dined with last night are coming to drill holes for the curtain pole to hang curtains for this room tomorrow.  They are also bringing an upholstered chair for me as they are replacing this particular chair  with a new one.  She says it is 'fabulous' we will see.

Yesterday in the sun I walked down to Morrison's and entered it's well stocked store.  One thing for certain there is plenty of alcohol around to drown our sorrows.  It never ceases to amaze me how many of us get our knickers in a twist about not being able to buy the 'must have' toys of the year.  

Maybe we could get just as excited as to the misery that our 'austere' country is doing to the poor.  Yesterday there was the last fifteen minutes of a housing programme.  They were in Solva in Pembrokeshire.  This young couple were living in a draughty old caravan because they could not afford a home in the district.  They both had jobs, she was a housing officer with the council.

Solva is a beautiful place, I have spent many a happy holiday there, but all these people with money to spare have brought up all the cottages for holiday cottages or holiday lets forcing the young people out, and of course, there are no young people to cater for them as well. We need a radical shift in the system. 

Sad news about the murder of a politician yesterday, he seemed a good man, and this act of violence has shocked many, bringing back to mind Jo Cox's murder as well.  I am not going to speculate about the person who did it, that remains in the hands of the police, though he has been transferred to a medical centre I believe.  But condolences to the family for this sad and unexpected loss.

I had forgotten this Laura Knight, I often come across her because once she lived for a time at Staithes and painted but then moved to Cornwall, for the light of course.  But her 'realistic' paintings of the times she lived through are interesting.  The Tethered Balloon painted in 1943, her Yorkshire paintings never have the clarity of this picture, but are more romantic.  If you read the underlined article you will find that she painted the nude female figure as well, which was  frowned on at the time, so this is how society changes, the gentle nudge of female artists to express themselves.



13 comments:

  1. I love Laura Knights wartime paintings.

    Co-incidentally I went to bed before 10 last night and also caught the end of that Radio 4 programme about housing shortage and second homes. So many seaside towns are the same it's sad and has got worse since Lockdown with so many city people moving out to the country, they can afford anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, I think there was a note of optimism there though, there was a housing community building several new homes, only for locals though. This is a strategy that is starting to happen, small beginnings but useful.

      Delete
  2. There is an article in The Guardian today about her as there is an exhibition in Milton Keynes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is where I saw the painting yesterday, been racking my brain but the Guardian is the answer, thank you.

      Delete
  3. When I was a kid we had yards and yards of that silvery balloon fabric. I used to cover my motorcycle with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it became surplus after the war. Now Bristol is the great balloon making centre and do the balloons still fly from Victoria Park on a Sunday I wonder...

      Delete
    2. Yes they do, if the weather and wind direction permits. Cameron Balloons dominate Bristol.

      Delete
  4. In Derbyshire a few years ago, I had the misfortune (in the sense of lack of peace and quiet) to be walking much the same route as a group of about 25 teenagers doing a route for their Duke of Edinburgh award. There were two at the front with map and compass and the rest blindly following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is cruelty involved in making children work with an enormous back pack on their back;). Hopefully they will clear their litter, I once watched a school teacher with his class going for a walk up on Bath Downs. The children were scattering rubbish and plastic everywhere, this was a few years ago I am sure we are better trained now. I picked up the rubbish.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your chatty blog today Thelma - like you I often can't think of anything to say but it does keep the old brain working doesn't it? I rather like Dame Laura Knight's work - don't see much of it these days.
    Agree about the Politician's death yesterday - he looks a nice man and was so well-thought of by his constituents - such a tragic end at a relatively young age leaving his family in the depths of grief. My heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir David of course supports policies that were not in line with many people's thinking, so I think the eulogies fall on less sympathetic ears as well. But his death was such a tragedy, acknowledging the good he definitely did do is part of our tradition.

      Delete
  6. The school bus discharged students at the head of the road and some lived half mile away at the end. One young mother walked up with a toddler carrying a plastic bag for litter. Shopping for litter, her mother called it. When the children were a little older they road bikes up the road and left them in our side yard. When I ran for township office I had to have petitions signed for nomination. I met the little girl who shopped for litter. She was graduation college with an earth science degree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Joanne a few years back of sitting in a car park in the car. In front of us the four young people in their car threw out all their rubbish from a Mcdonald's meal. Feeling slightly nervous I got out, walked up, picked up all their rubbish in silence and put it in the rubbish bin. Hopefully they got the message.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!