Thursday, October 7, 2021

7th October 2021 - Celtic or Anglo Saxon?

  The Words of Finn

My words for you;
Stag ruts and bells,
Winter pours down,
Summer has gone.
----
Wind's high and cold,
Low is the sun,
Briefer its run.
Runs the sea strong.
----
Turns red the fern,
Broken its form.
Habit is hearing
The wild goose's song.
-----
Season of ice,
Wings of the birds
Caught by the cold.
These are my words.


It's Poetry day.  The first word that runs through my head is 'belling', the belling of the deer.  I have already heard this morning the Canadian geese go over to the canal and remind myself that animals are 'wild' only by us using the word wild.  In fact animals are part of our lives, as are the tiniest insects which we see vanishing down the hole of extinction, especially my beloved bumblebee.  I saw not one red tailed bumblebee in Normanby last summer.  Danger, danger, the stinkbug is coming to our shores, one has already been spied at Winsley according to the BBC news this morning, but it will probably take a decade to take hold and I will no doubt be dead by then!

As the days get darker old poetry is the best for it takes nature by the throat and shakes it with bitter words.  Thank the lord, Boris Johnson has finished his speeches, though sadly we wake up this morning to the fact that the energy crisis is real and Europe and Britain could well be held to ransom by Russia.  Companies are in despair at the cost of gas, forget petrol, there seems to be something really nasty hiding round the corner ;)

But if you want to be really miserable this morning what about the Anglo-Saxon  'Seafarer.'  Again I note that this was a time I had began talking to the person who was to became the great love of my life, how strange, but of course not strange, memories evoke familiarity.

Okay trying not to be smug but this is so topical. Right I got the story of Molly Scott Cato slightly wrong as to where it had taken place but in the light of where we are today this Youtube short video will make you giggle.



4 comments:

  1. That video sums it all up. Flawed ideology over common sense and complete ignorance of basic facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She comes out as a sensible woman. Though of course today's problems would still happen we would be so much stronger with Europe at our back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes Pat my fingers itch to yell at the Conservative Party and Labour as well of course but Cato's reply was so beautifully modulated.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!