Tuesday, October 5, 2021

5th October 2021

This a favourite photo. I laid the camera on its back underneath and pressed the button and this fabulous array of folded wonder appeared.

Everything back to normal in the house, Karen back from Bath, happy to see old friends and catch up with them.  She went to a birthday party in a pub, and as the crowd chattered, the lady beside her was talking about Brexit.  She was somewhat silenced by a man who said 'what do you know about Brexit? in that supercilious male to female way.  She quietly replied, well actually  I am an economist and have been in Europe for 6 years as an MEP.  I just love a good put down.  She was the Green Party MEP for the South West - Molly Cato. 

 It is the time of party conferences and the promises of a bright and healthy future!! Yes where have I heard that before I wonder, the newspapers are having a roll.  John Crace - Verbal valium being his usual scathing self.  

Yesterday was a day of shocks.  Starting with an email saying that my bank transfer had not gone through to the storage people.  Went back and checked with my bank and got a transaction number, emailed it through.  Late afternoon, sorry the reminder invoice was an error the recipient said, and do you know I had my suspicions when I filled in the details of the account anyway, what ever happened to the good old cheque?

The second shock was someone contacting my daughter on Ancestry, asking why she had put my birth mother's name (Betsey Louis) on her tree.  We surmised that it must be one of her children.  So where do we go from here I wonder? He hasn't got back to us, so perhaps he doesn't want to go any further.  Mixed feelings at the moment.

And finding words on Bensozia by Thomas Mann, who I have never read, he seems a very complicated person Mann.

Authorship itself has always seemed to me to be a witness to and an expression of ambivalence, of here and there, of yes and no, of two souls in one breast, of an annoying richness in inner conflicts, antitheses and contradictions.

Slightly blurry Amethyst Deceiver surrounded by sweet chestnut husks.




12 comments:

  1. I love your mushroomy photographs, especially that blue one. I seem to remember you said it was eatable. Why is it I wonder that anything blue immediately looks poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No answer to that Pat, black is also a colour we don't eat much of. Squid ink comes to mind immediately ;)

      Delete
  2. That first photo is fabulous and could be framed, Thelma! So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes from the top an ordinary white mushroom and then the mass of folds underneath Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fabulous photo. Am looking forward to hopefully having some fungus forays this Autumn. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember not to eat them though Aril.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what will come of your contact ref. your birth mother through Ancestry? I imagine you are rather ambivalent on the subject . . .

    Your first photo reminds me of a fabulous guided Fungi Foray in Puddletown Forest - gosh, half a lifetime ago now. We did all sorts of things like seeing if the flesh changed colour on exposure to air, comparing the spacing of gills, whether their was an aureole (I think) or cracking of the cap, as well as the different species and names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are quite right Jennie about ambivalence, it is a bit late in my life to go down this particular path, though he has been in touch. Gills, gills, gills that is what I should have called them in that top photo. I must have photo'd dozens of different species over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blood of my blood . . . and all that. Surely not to late to meet other people you are related to? You might even like them!!

      Delete
    2. She had 6 other children Jennie, it is a large family;)

      Delete
  8. I would like to have seen the miffed expression on that boorish fellow's mush. Perfect put-down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I got the story slightly wrong, especially venue, but the youtube version is a must..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zazbg2om_Gk

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!