Sunday, February 19, 2023

19th February 2023




We are off to Shipley today to Andrew's flat and do some sightseeing.  Mention of the Industrial Museum but I fancy wandering round the large cavernous Salt Mill again, we shall see.

Woke up this morning on a dream that I must be Vera of television fame because Aidan was my side-kick.  We were being chased by the police because they had some electronic device located in my car.  Not sure if it was the baby I was pushing in a pram over the bridge they were after but still.  What a weird and wondrous world our dreams think up.

Still perhaps I should stop plodding through the series on ITVX.  What I find now is there is no need to watch television through an evening but to follow one's whim on any You tube video, I can wander from archaeology to mindfulness, from knitting to captured black and white from the past, and at the moment travel around Japan and understand their world.

Yesterday I watched a short film about weaving on one of the Japanese islands, this English lady swished around in a variety of kimonos......

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2007477/

Japan is a fascinating culture, Paul who studied his own craft with such diligence would often explain, the meticulous and patient handwork in which his skill was found.  The thing that is so obvious is that within any culture you use the natural plants and water around you.  He had books of hand made paper that he had collected and  one dream of his was to move to Middle Mill just outside Solva in Wales, to take advantage of the clean little river that flowed through the hamlet, but dreams are just dreams sadly.

There are things that go against the grain of my nature in Japan, the ultra tidy garden but such arrangements are there for meditation and one should not forget the  religious philosophy that underlines their past history.

I see that I have written about papermaking in 2010 and it brings back memories of many a happy day spent wandering round the confines of Solva.


Have you ever felt -  Banausic = not operating on an elevated level - mundane.  Found it in an essay, Grayling had used it.


8 comments:

  1. Life seems very banaustic here right now. I can't wait for spring to arrive properly (more snow first though?) and it's good to hear the birdsong and see the first spring flowers and enjoy the lengthening days. Who's to say what might have happened if you had bought the old mill at Solva?

    Enjoy your outing. Our next Day Out is to the Hospital in Hereford tomorrow. Aren't we lucky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are from the hospital visit Jennie, hope everything went as well as can be expected. Well they are making a success of it. When we took our American friends there, Loie recognised the pattern of a carpet in a library she had worked in.

      Delete
  2. I have the "Shetland" series as well as the Vera Stanhope mysteries--I've not seen the TV series of either [watching videos or such reminds of when I had migraines.] Brenda Blethyn as she appears on the book covers is doubtless far more attractive than Vera of the books. I will say for Ann Cleeves that much as I enjoy her descriptions of places I'll never visit, I am often indignant at the characters she chooses to 'kill off!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anne Cleese rather wrings your heart strings in who she gets rid off. They are doing another four part series of Vera at the moment Sharon.

      Delete
  3. Not only have I felt Banausic, I come from Banausia. I hope you bought some salt from the cavernous Salt Mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely word isn't it and I expect quite recent. Did not make it to any museums, long walk instead by the canal and then back along the river.

      Delete
  4. I remember your last visit to the Salt Mill. I told my daughter about it. I often feel mundane because, sadly, I am so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter when she goes walking likes tea and cakes as a reward for going on a walk. The Salt mill restaurant would have been lovely but too near lunch time for cake.

      Delete

Love having comments!