Sunday, February 5, 2023

5th February 2023

When looking at my stats this morning I noticed that there were several blogs that were still looked at from years ago.  One was on a visit to London, probably to the British Museum and we had had lunch in a Japanese restaurant, so in good Tasker fashion I will link it here.  The other blog that was listed was about Lastingham Church.  What I think was most remarkable was that I found St.Cedd at Chelmsford Cathedral, here in Lastingham and down by the sea in Essex at St. Peter on the Wall still in its Romans vestments.

Always I write of things that catch my interest, places we had visited. If I follow the link in Lastingham Church, I was writing about 'there be dragons somewhere else, I think these dragons belonged on the font at Avebury and were eating a bishop. Don't worry I am sure he overcame them!

Each day my mind chews over what I have learnt in the day.  Yesterday having found out about Elmet (600 hides of land) between Mercia and Leeds I happened on a couple of documentaries about poverty.  Firstly in America, and then in Europe/Germany.  I also came across Guy Standing explaining as to where we are at in the moment.

I was going to title this blog with "Has everyone turned into a Rachman?" but thought that might be too controversial.  The words I had come across was Rentier Capitalists, this is the regime we are living under now.  All those strikes on the street point to the fact that wages are being pushed down deliberately.  Government is no longer there to look after the population but to line the pockets of those already rich.  That may be a naïve way of looking at it, but it has always seemed to me that large pensions, dividends and second homes cannot actually create a manufacturing background.   God knows what our grandchildren will inherit.  Amen


Edit;  The News statesman came up with a little podcast from Will Dunn - The end of the Ponzi  Scheme on my news last night.



10 comments:

  1. Re your last paragraph, I see that Liz Truss is planning a comeback, blaming everyone but herself for the chaos caused by her budget. One of her constituents was saying what a good person she is for getting a puddle cleared in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Nothing surprises me now, the fact that she almost brought this country to the edge of a cliff and she has been 'misunderstood' is water under the bridge. She has the barefaced effrontery to stick her nose into the fray for another go. As for puddles, listen to the two generations in this household as to how it
      is my generation that put the Conservatives into power (not me personally). Those people who vote for puddles have screwed the next generations up.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy you blog and don’t often comment. I agree with you that the motives driving our present government are not altruistic. They would like the NHS to be a slimmed down to an emergency room while those that can afford the monthly private insurance payments will get a much improved deal. They seem to loathe any idea that health care should be available to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, it is sad that we should be brought down to this level. There are so many things wrong at the moment, not enough care workers, overworked and overstretched doctors and nurses. Everything seems to have been run down.

      Delete
  3. A change of government might be a good thing - nobody could do a worse job surely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get quite a lot of visits to old posts. One about stamp collecting especially.
    As I've said before, I entirely agree about the economy. If it continues as it is it will be like the 1930s when nobody had anything. Our generation really has lived through the best of times, it could not have been better, but some of us have been too lazy or too greedy and messed up things for everyone. Such is human nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire how you remember everything in detail Tasker. As for that deep, dark drain we are going down it seems to me that people are filling their pockets before the reckoning comes. I think not only have we had our eyes opened through the media, but that we were unable to see what would happen in the future. You wait till my grandchildren start voting - chuckle.

      Delete
  5. Blog stats are very odd and unpredictable - but that's half the fun I think. I love it when I get random comments on posts that are years old. I also get a lot of visitors via readers of my books, and they tend not always to be looking at the latest posts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course it is in the titling and I mostly just date stamp what I have just written, the search engine will normally find what I want. It is also time consuming reading old blogs as well Mark but it brings back memories into sharp focus.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!