Sunday, February 26, 2023

Sunday thoughts.

Taking thoughts and collecting memories: Some of the best memories I have were wandering around St.David's Head with Moss.  He was in his element on these holidays which we took by ourselves.  We would stay in a little cottage attached to a farm down a trackway.  That is not to say that taking my beloved Paul there and our American friends at a later stage wasn't wonderful.  But for me wandering along the cliff tops, searching out the cromlechs and using a map instead of some silly hand held phone was bliss.

My probably most favourite area was the Prescelis, it had a beautiful loneliness that made me want to live there.  In fact if my life had not taken the turns and bumps in the road, that is where you would now find me, either in one of those cottages in St. David or somewhere in a village.

I explored that coastline with an intensity marvelling at the flowing lines of the cliffs, the  past industrial history of Porthgain and the Blue Lagoon at Aberridy.  You need to go back again and again to understand a landscape.  The pages unfold, the little cross vicar's wife who tutted at my pronunciation of her church.  The sweep of the sea and beach at Newgale.  A great curve of sand backed by tons of stone so as to not to let the sea flood on to the only road between Haverfordwest and St.Davids, where it would create a lake on the campsite across the road in winter.

But it was Moss's exuberance for life coupled with his sensibility that always found the right way back through heather or gorse that I most relied on. Being a sheep dog he would not go near the sea not even for a paddle, if his ball landed in the water I had to get it.   Wandering round Solva one could walk up to the top of the cliffs and then make a bumpy steep descent into the little secret valley behind, a 'drowned' valley and the cove that lay hidden there.  Keep walking up over the cliffs and you would find a cromlech up there by the farm.  Unfortunately a 19th century farmer had tried to blow it up  with dynamite, also an old chapel hidden amongst the barns.

Moss always waiting for his ball to be thrown


Probably my favourite cromlech.  Difficult to find on St. David's Head. 

Wandering through some woods came across this old well with the key stones giving way.  I wonder if it has fallen yet?

An old ruined chapel on top of the cliffs.

I just love the tangle of greenery around the well.

'The Street' at Aberridy




15 comments:

  1. I live in Haverfordwest and last week went to Cardigan for a spin with a friend over the Preseli mountains. I too love it up there. The bleakness and just wide open space amazes me. I would love to live there too in an old cottage but unfortunately due to the beauty of Pembrokeshire it is very expensive to buy property here. I returned to Pembrokeshire after leaving for London at the age of two, at the age of 32. I am now 68 and have spent 36 years in the beautiful landscapes of Sir Benfro. Sometimes I miss my life if the big smoke but will never leave here. We are so lucky in Britain and Ireland to live in such lovely surroundings in relative peace compared to other countries at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, it is so sad that money buys all these cottages either as second homes or holiday lets. But you are right, the peace that you find in the countryside is wonderful. The Welsh landscape is very special.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos and memories. Our collie Lucy hated getting wet feet too would walk out into the road to avoid any puddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet bath time was a bundle of joy Sue, four paws pressed firmly against the side of the bath.

      Delete
  3. That's St Non's chapel and well. Never been there but recognize it from a photo. The Preselis are a wonderful area but a bleak to live there in winter. I've not seen the cromlech on St David's head but only done a walk round there once, on my birthday one year, with Tam and Gabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jennie that is St.Non's chapel, but the well pictured is somewhere in the woods by Whitchurch church just outside Solva. From what I can remember there was a pilgrim way passing Whitchurch on the way to St.David.
      The well at St. Non has a niche in the stone for a Mary statue, I will try and find the photo, it is very Catholic at that retreat on the cliff.

      Delete
  4. I never noticed it until just now. Your Moss and my husband's son's dog Bane, are an image of each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Merle collies, very intelligent Debby. I remember driving out into the countryside in Somerset to buy him as a gorgeous pup.

      Delete
    2. Not the same then, I wish I could send you a picture. Bane is a border collie/Australian shepherd mix. He is wonderfully intelligent.

      Delete
    3. Well maybe Debby, blue merle is a colour, you can have a red merle as well. But since all you emigres are from Northern Europe maybe a few English sheep dogs made it to Australia and America as well.

      Delete
  5. Animals are such wonderful companions. I once had a cat called Katydid who would walk miles with me through pasture and woods. When it was time to turn back I had to carry her at first because she balked vociferously at the idea of going home. Some remembered places are so dear we can almost close our eyes and be there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Some remembered places are so dear we can almost close our eyes and be there again." That is so true Sharon it brings happiness in its wake. Katydid was obviously a wandering cat, hope she kept safe for her lifetimes.

      Delete
  6. I'm delighted you have such fond memories of what is my home turf! Everywhere you mention in this post is within a few miles of my house (inland from Solva). My friend the late John Knapp Fisher spent a lifetime painting within only 5 miles of his cottage at Croes Goch. I too love the Preselli hills - a much under-rated landscape of Wales - walking the Golden Road there with my son was setting for the opening essay of my first book Counting Steps.
    Wales - the first place, they say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also rather envious of course, there is so much to be explored on its prehistoric history. I have just read Wiki on Croes Goch, it means Red Cross after a famous battle when a red cross of blood presumably was seen. I always thought it meant Cross Roads. I remember the gallery it was on the main road and just looked at his paintings Mark. I shall check out your first book!

      Delete
  7. Nice photographs Thelma - and Moss looks a lovely dog - lovely markings. No wonder you remember him in such a loving way

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!