Friday, January 18, 2019

Mary Oliver


IN OUR WOODS,SOMETIMES A RARE MUSIC
Every spring
I hear the thrush singing
in the glowing woods
he is only passing through.
His voice is deep,
then he lifts it until it seems
to fall from the sky.
I am thrilled.
I am grateful.
Then, by the end of morning,
he's gone, nothing but silence
out of the tree
where he rested for a night.
And this I find acceptable.
Not enough is a poor life.
But too much is, well, too much.
Imagine Verdi or Mahler
every day, all day.
It would exhaust anyone.
From A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver. Copyright 2012 by Mary Oliver. Excerpted with permission of Penguin Group.

2 comments:

  1. We read several poems by her at our Poetry meeting on Wednesday. I didn't know she had died. It is a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often come across her on Kerradune's blog 'Beyond the Fields we Know'.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!