Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Wednesday 2nd January 2019



I came across this wonderful video of Bartlow Mounds this morning, Iron Age burial mounds in the Roman period in Essex.  The two guys made me laugh, it was like being transported back to the duo of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, but after I had got over that, I realised that the chap talking was intellectually superior to many of the archaeologists we find today, and he wasn't even an archaeologist.  The video is 25 minutes long and probably not of interest too many, but I liked his concluding analysis of the reason for such lavish burial mounds they are the biggest in the country.  Simply put the hierarchical nature of society, through the Iron, Bronze and Neolithic has put us where we are today with the terrible class system, that some still adhere to.
But I also wrote of this place and for sheer sunshine on the day, and photos of this typical Essex village see this blog, and wonder at the 'Pyramids of Essex;
And now to find the classic 'class' sketch of Moor and Cook, this time in a 'Gourmet' mood, Giles Coren eat your heart out.  It is a bit fuzzy and the language is going south, but if you ask what made my sense of humour, it was this pair.


6 comments:

  1. Haven;tseen this before - laughed so much that I missed half of it and had to run through it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very 'old' television, rough round the edges but a lovly spoof.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of the Pyramids of Essex!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pyramids film is wonderful. I would never have seen it otherwise. Thanks (from someone in the US who puts her email in the solstice lottery at Newgrange every year.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Hart I never knew that, Newgrange of course gets more popular with the passing of year ;). It is a marvellous film, and Bartlow mounds do have an air of mystery, as such large mounds are unusual. I think it was a group of Belgae people, similar to the square graves iron age people who came into my part of the world in North Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!