Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sunday 20th January

Sunday, still misty and grey but not cold.  Yesterday I ordered four books from the secondhand dealers that Amazon hosts.  Amazon always tries to get you onto 'Prime' and you need devious skills to avoid it.  Two were fiction books, Phil Rickman and Peter May 'Shetland' series.  The other two was Fiona MacCarthy's Eric Gill and an 'Arts and Craft' book.
Shetland and the Orkney Islands are becoming the 'in' places to visit.  Their lonely windswept beauty to be sold to tourists. Sad. But I suppose it means more money for the islanders, many of whom are incomers, trying to avoid a crowded life;)  If you ever want Shetland wool from these islands then go to Jamieson and Smith, as a knitter I have used their wool, the shades for fair isles are extensive and they have fabulous 2 ply wool for knitting shawls that should pass through a wedding ring.
I have probably read the Gill book through the library but I would like a copy, though a man successful in his world, I think he was a pervert if I remember rightly.  I loved the area in which he lived Llanthony, the old priory ruins and the slightly deserted grey miserable air of the countryside around, the Ewyas Valley, Landscapism blog on my right is doing a dissertation on the area around Llanthony, the granges and farms that still echo in the landscape.

As it is Sunday, something funny to end with.




4 comments:

  1. I loved the joke - and such a brilliant philosophy behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always been a big fan of Peanuts and their clear-sightedness about life. I may steal this for Facebook as we all are feeling low watching food lines for our fellow public servants. I have been binge watching the TV series Shetland in the evenings. Enjoying the vastness of the scenery as much as the murder plot. I want to go there and am sad to find I am behind the curve,as always. I will go to the link for the other blog with enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a terrible mess in America, we find it difficult to understand why one man can shut down public employment so easily. The other link by the way goes to Wales, here is a link to Orkney...https://www.orkney.com/
    I get my 'funnies' from Amateur Therapy on Facebook, and friends of course.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!