Thursday, June 27, 2019

Campanula

Bell flowers, a favourite of mine, I remember walking down a gorge in the Mendips and finding a wild plant and being thrilled.  Up here on the Yorkshire moors you will find the little harebell, nodding their heads furiously in the wind.
Cantebury bells, allow the words to roll around in your head!  I realise I haven't any in the garden but I do have ordinary bell flowers in the front, now beaten down by the rain, as was the lemon rose... captured for the moment.


I am sure this is a 'conglomerate' bellflower that is just coming into flower in the garden


This is a walk round the garden but outside on the verge of the church Keith has tackled the grass and spent leaves of daffodils, but look what he left standing - Orange hawkweed, brightly coloured against the green.  John of 'Going Gently' was talking about 'shedding' which apparently is the terminology of helping in your community.  Well Keith works so hard in our community that I think he deserves a medal.




So what else, a bumper crop of blackberries, my Rosamundi rose is starting to flower...... only two pears on the new tree and a meagre two plums on one of the plums.

The fat little bums of bees are always a welcome sight round the gardens

Stripped Rosamundi, echoing the past
Flowers have a history of their own, we have several wild bell flowers in this country, their shapes echo the bells in the church but the flower bells do not ring, only carry their own folklore along the way.

5 comments:

  1. I like the country name of fox and cubs for the orange hawkweed.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the colour is very similar to the foxes coat Aril.

      Delete
  2. Interesting reading the comment above - we always called orange hawkweed hen and chickens. A single stem has arrived from somewhere into my neighbour's front garden - she is thrilled to see it - I hope it sends a few seeds my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such an unusual colour for a wild flower Pat, we have it occasionally in our lawn which was an old field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hawkweed does bring one up to stop and stare. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!