Monday, June 10, 2019

Thoughts on monday

Hubble-bubble pipe or hookah
When I was a child we had one of these in the house, I always thought it was for opium smoking but no it was for the use of flavoured tobacco smoking!  It fascinated us as children as did the big brass Russian samovar.

Well not mixing politics with drugs, I shall only mention Gove in passing.  Why? because I believe that the moral laws of yesterday are somewhat different to the more modern morals of today.

Over the weekend my grand daughter went to a music festival, she is a sensible, intelligent girl, but then thoughts of Ecstasy and its sometimes fatal end, and or spiked drinks and we all get worried, especially her mother.  But as we know we all go through 'rites of passage'.

The question that went through my mind though was, are drugs a 'class' problem? Ask on that Google and you will get Sajid Javid making claims against Gove for obvious political reasons.

There is a forum I read on which someone who seems to be on a high most of the time with his gibberish talk frustrates any sane comments, note I said forum not blogs ;)

To be honest I have never taken drugs, never wanted to or was interested in them, my cousin brought back from squats in London, inlaid with grime and  his face a green pallor that was my antidote. He was also brought back from India, the 'in' place to be in the 60s. The family cared.

Paul after leaving art school, made his way to Japan to study there. On his arrival standing on Tokyo station late at night waiting for a non-existent sleeper train, he was rescued by a night worker, who phoned the police, who came and took him to a hostel.  His life panned out differently in another country but drugs were not on the menu, neither was much else as he lived in poverty for a while.



So are 'recreational' drugs bad? As we know the question divides into two, the problem of the user and their reactions, and the problem of the people who sell drugs and live in a criminal world.

p.s. A facebook message flashes on my screen, "Matilda arrived home 11.30 last night and is now sleeping it out on the sofa"... all is well that ends well.

10 comments:

  1. And to think I used to worry about my youngsters going to the pub and getting drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think drink and drugs have always been there, you just start to worry about your young when you read all the news Cathy.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I even knew about drugs when I was a teenager. When my son went to Uni I did ask whether it was necessary for us to discuss drugs. He gave me the sort of look only a teenager can give his mother and told me not to be stupid. I don't know whether he ever took them, I have never asked. But we all know they are out there and freely available even in little towns like ours. Not sure what we can do about it and luckily my grandchildren are now too old to be involved (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That of course is probably the best attitude Pat, the young are entitled to grow up independently from their parents.

      Delete
  3. Life is so different today and drugs and dying from them knows no class or age. The 60’s had their drugs but they were nothing like the ones that Big Pharma had doled out in recent years. It is an epidemic here and it is frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the 60s did have LSD which was what my cousin was hooked on. But as you say the pharmaceutical companies produce so many drugs, - some for the good though - that we are addicted in other ways now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When marijuana went legal in my state was the first time we tried it. When we smoked a little, we both coughed and got nothing from it. We bought some of the chewable with wanting it for tension and to relax (they tell you what it does)-- also because some say it helps with tremors, which I have. It either did nothing or made me fall asleep. A less than successful venture; so having it legal hasn't made any difference for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain, that sort of sums it up, for some it doesn't work, for others it is the road to ruin. Legalising it helps in one way, makes it less expensive and deprives the criminal of his profit.

      Delete
  6. In snorting coke, Gove was helping to fund crime and violent underworld activity in Colombia or Mexico or elsewhere. I think Gove must have snorted a lot of the stuff because he talks nonsense.
    P.S. I am glad to hear that Matilda made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well probably it halved his chance of leadership, I call him Mr.Toad. But when the front runner is a cheat, liar and womaniser I despair.
      We are all glad Matilda is home, the young have to go through this growing up stage and the family have to accept the worry!

      Delete

Love having comments!