Friday, June 7, 2019

Friday 7th June

Doctors and vets yesterday, hospital today, life takes on a different perspective.  Paul is doing alright, tired a lot of the time but he even went out in the garden yesterday and swept the stones away on the path, the bantams just love scattering stuff.
I took Lucy to the big new glass fronted vets yesterday, and a very efficient vet examined her, she had a high temperature, and then he took a blood sample, analysised in 20 minutes.  It seems she has a liver infection, not too serious but requiring a fair amount of pills and another blood test in a fortnight's time to see how she is recovering.  Thank goodness for all the new equipment the vets have invested in.  So have I of course, bills don't come cheap, though I do have insurance.
Lucy herself sleeps a lot, tends to throw her bowl of food all over the kitchen floor, but eats some of it eventually, she is a diva of high order with her mischief making and on the whole is still cheerful when teasing us.  Then there is of course all that yummy ice cream that hides pills, will have to invest in some more, perhaps to go with the strawberries that are on sale down at the smallholding in Sinnington.

As an ex-Catholic convent girl, the Pope latest pronouncement made me laugh,
'Do not lead us into temptation'. Is the one I shall always remember, Hail Mary escaped the purge as did 'I believe in God, the father almighty'.  Both of which learnt by heart, one, repeated with rosary beads. The sad fact is all through my formative years I never believed in God.  And as I look at that latest naive updating by the Pope, I despair.  Apparently it was a bad translation from the beginning. 

"The Pope has previously told Italian TV that the new translation was already being used by the Catholic Church because the original translation implies God leads humans to sin.
"Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell," he told TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel in 2017.
"A father does not do that, a father helps you to get up immediately."
A line in The Gloria will also change in the third edition from “Peace on earth to people of good will” to “Peace on Earth to people beloved by God.”
imageThe weather is good for the moment, the garden looks perfect and there are three sweet fledgling sparrows harassing their mother for food.  The world is alive with the newly fledged young, whether they be sparrows or crows.

10 comments:

  1. All that changing of the language reminds me of "Animal Farm".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book I have never read, mostly because I feel it would be too sad.

      Delete
    2. They made commandments that all animals would follow but as things developed the pigs altered the commandments. They set up home in the farmhouse and even began to look like humans.

      Delete
    3. Very much like humans through the ages. Religion has a lot to answer for.

      Delete
  2. I've been rather quickly scanning my favorite blogs, enjoying in particular your flowers, both cultivated and wild. Gardening and fatigue [likely related] have overtaken me as far as creating comments or posting on my own blog.
    It has to be worrying to have Paul ill [I missed what has happened with him to provoke the hospital stay] and now to have Lucy poorly, an added stress. This aging of ourselves and our pets is not an easy time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, The coincidence is that they both have liver disease, neither of them badly, Paul has just been to the hospital and got good results, though there is still a scan to go through with. Lucy is fairly lively for her age and the pills seem to be working, she is on antibiotics and other pills. They go down with icecream, which she loves.

      Delete
    2. My DIL has an inherited liver disease. She is managing with some fairly strict diet changes--almost no meat, cutting sugar and fats. Re Lucy: as Mary Poppins sang, 'a spoonful of sugar [ice cream!] makes the medicine go down!'

      Delete
    3. The one thing of course everyone states that the liver can heal itself it is regenerative.

      Delete
  3. The scene and the colors in your picture are lovely.

    I am also a former Catholic who went to church school for twelve years. For many of those years I had questioned Church doctrine and was uncomfortable with many proclamations. Then the church scandals came to light (although they were whispered about for years), and the evil was so widespread, that I cut myself off completely from religion. I consider myself a humanist today and have found peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think religion has a lot to answer for Arleen, the nuns were good and kind but the whole rigmarole of services rings so artifically now. Glad you are a humanist, not sure what I believe in or not. Think I would probably call myself an agnostic, a creeping belief in nature...

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!