Friday, October 4, 2019

Welcome Home

The holly tree has plenty of ripening berries lets hope the birds leave enough for the church decorations


Who do I talk of? Well I was never quite sure where the robins, blackbirds and thrushes went to but apparently they have been in Scandinavia.  They now fly over our East coast in droves making it back to our winter harvest of wild and cultivated berries.  Of course that will include  the thrushes - song, mistle, redwings and fieldfares.
All this I read courtesy of our local booklet in a little article by Jonathan Pomroy, a local artist who lives at Ampleforth.  He  is to have a showing at the Saltbox Gallery in Helmsley.  It is always pleasing to be introduced to something new and I am glad these birds are making an appearance when another 'State of Nature Report in 2019 written by the National Trust reports on the significant loss of flora and fauna.  I know in this area many, many hedgehogs have been saved by a group of volunteers, who nurse and return these little hoglets back to their gardens and fields.

I am reading Yanis Varoufakis - Talking to my daughter about the Economy - A brief History of Capitalism.  It unfolds simply in its narrative of how the market forces we see today moved through history, all I need it to tell me now is why there are so many greedy people around at the moment.  I shall then move onto his book for adults - Adults in the Room - My Battle with Europe's deep Establishment.

Why am I reading these books, could it be that we shall go the same way as Greece?  There was a funny old BFI film this morning about the Scottish Isles.  It started with the reporter in a telephone box querying the price of gold and platinum.  He then is seen in an old croft with two ladies knitting those fine shawls that you can pass through a wedding ring when finished.  These shawls he pointed out were more expensive than either gold or platinum ounce for ounce.  It made me laugh rather hollowly as we now print money willy-nilly, it is so easy;)

3 comments:

  1. I too am welcoming back the thrushes - a real sign that Autumn - and a new beginning - is here. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think greed comes as one possible aspect of human nature. Right now its more obvious in the rich as it's what is being talked about by the left. Some who have profited from the capitalistic system have shared their wealth-- some hoard it. It used to be talked about as one of the sins but it got to a point recently that it's seen as a sign of success and God's benevolent blessings. Hoarding should always be seen as bad. Maybe it will be again and put in proper perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds an interesting book? I wonder if you have read George Monbiot’s Out of the Wreckage? I found that really helpful, both the critical analysis of the problems and the idea of looking for. New narrative of belonging and stories of communities that give hope. Jean

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!