Thursday, August 27, 2020

Pandemics and Wayland's Smithy

 No matter what the universe has in store, it cannot take away from the fact that you were born. You’ll have some joy and some pain, and all the other experiences that make up what it’s like to be a tiny part of a grand cosmos. No matter what happens next, you were here. And even when any record of our individual lives is lost to the ages, that won’t detract from the fact that we were. We lived. We were part of the enormity. All the great and terrible parts of being alive, the shocking sublime beauty and heartbreak, the monotony, the interior thoughts, the shared pain and pleasure. It really happened. All of it. On this little world that orbits a yellow star out in the great vastness. And that alone is cause for celebration.”

― Sasha Sagan, For Small Creatures Such as We: Rituals for Finding Meaning in Our Unlikely World

A couple of days ago Window 10 said it was updating itself, this took several hours but at the end I had 'big letters' everything became large and I had to shift the upfront page to fit the screen.

But today I thought of Sagan's words which would put into perspective what 'life' is all about, and one thing it is not is a happy continuous road, there are bumps and potholes all along the way. To pretend what is happening does not exist is a foolish act, we are living through an adjustment in history. Think the bible called it 'seven years famine, seven years feast'. Yes even the wheat crop is 40% down ;)
In fact even the world's news has disintegrated into a continuous bleat about the pandemic, but then news is always bad isn't it?
So it is up to to us to turn to the happy things in life, thing that float through your mind on a daily basis, and today a picture of Moss sitting at the foot of a tree, with a ball placed at his feet and his eyes willing me to move on as I sat and meditated outside Wayland's Smithy, a Neolithic long barrow restored by Stuart Piggott and Richard Atkinson in the 60s. Moss was content in his doggy life, a long walk, a ball to be thrown, simplicity itself. I was just happy with that sunny Autumn day, as I am now thinking about it. A moment caught in time.





I could never meditate properly my mind flutters around like the butterflies that grace the buddleia flowers, not quite understanding the need to stand still and reflect, but loving the moment as it is. Like for instance being stopped by the sound of a buzzard high in the air yesterday in the garden.
I remember walking back along the long chalk path, and in the far distance there was a man who seemed to be jumping in and out of the woods in a strange fashion. Slightly worried though Moss would have defended me, I drew abreast of the man, and he explained his strange behaviour to allay my fears. His dog had gone off in the woods and he was just checking that it was still there.
Its mythology is here..... the tale told in Saxon times.

"All the account which the country people are able to give of it is 'At this place lived formerly an invisible Smith, and if a traveller's Horse had lost a Shoe upon the road, he had no more to do than to bring the Horse to this place with a piece of money, and leaving both there for some little time, he might come again and find the money gone, but the Horse new shod."


11 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the Sagan quote. "To pretend what is happening does not exist is a foolish act,". It is only by acknowledging what is that we can react wisely.
    Also, regarding peaks and troughs in life, the fact is that these all happen at different times for different individuals as well, so in addition to the overall trough that we are in worldwide with Covid, each person is going through their own cycle of ups and downs, with most trying to put a brave face on, but some not doing so well.
    Focussing on happy moments always helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've only been to Waylands Smithy once - and I didn't know it had been "restored" back in the 60s. A special place that's for sure.

    Strangely, I was thinking only yesterday of the fluctuations of luck and fate that has affected our lives since we came here (and of course before). How you go for long spells where nothing seems to go right and bad things happen totally out of the blue. Then literally overnight, it changes for the better. We had a couple of things "go right" for us these past couple of days and it makes me very suspicious - I daren't take pleasure in them for fear I will jinx the good things and something catastrophic will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent quote. Occasionally I stop myself and remind myself to notice the current moment because at the end of the day that's all we've got. I have tried meditation, but my mind is like a hive of bees so it's better for me to do something that I can become completely absorbed in. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same with meditation - I have a butterfly mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Moss keeps you on task by bringing the ball along...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Moss kept me on task a while ago, long gone to that doggie heaven in the sky Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent a few months restoring Ashdown House - a hunting lodge - near Wayland's Smithy some time ago. I went into Lambourne for lunch a few times - a pub full of tiny jockeys who all looked like Norman Wisdom. All very strange. My horse was never re-shod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intrigued, was it a real horse? Of course Wayland's Smithy is in Berkshire and the old Ridgeway is good for training horses. The barrow sparked off many stories, it is a place for pagans and ghosts to gather.

      Delete
  9. You flit between the here and now and way back then. I rather like that fluid interplay. In the human mind, life is not a continuous line of progression moving onward from A to B. Dogs like Moss never worry themselves about such matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be that growing old starts to meld past and present together I suppose. But gathering memories through the internet is a good way of recording stuff.

      Delete

Love having comments!