Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Tuesday 11th August 2020

 

Autumn by American artist & conservationist George A. Weymouth 1936-2016

Lets start with a painting, Brigit Strawbridge Howard always finds paintings on her website, and this froth of cow parsley I think, took my fancy.  There is an ethereal beauty to the tinge of blueness added to the white.

Weekend has gone, talked for ages to my two children, strange there is not a word for grown-up children. Both doing well, my daughter is back working in Manchester, happy in her job. 
 
Went shopping to Daisys our garden centre, she has really been pushing her plants on F/B, but they all seem fairly expensive now.  Anyway I went shopping for fruit and vegetables, her little shop at the back  is full of local stuff and apparently this is where the country is turning to.  Shop local, and buy locally produced stuff.

We talked for ages, she also has hassle with people who will not stick to the rules, respecting the two metre safe distance and following her rather complicated route round the pathways.  It has taken me some time to keep on the designated marked route at the Co-op as well!

The weather is warm but not excessive, one of the joys in living in North Yorkshire.  I saw lightening at midnight last night but no thunder or rain, it must have been miles away.  Butterflies galore in the garden, could be because of the three buddleia shrubs I planted but there is constant movement.

There is a certain excitement in the archaeological world as well, as a metal detectorist has found a hoard of Bronze age horse harness in Southern Scotland, near Peebles.  The Polish finder did the right thing and called in the archaeologist to excavate the finds.  What I loved was the fact that they had found a rattle pendant for the horse, jingle bells would have told of your coming, such a nice touch.

8 comments:

  1. I am full of admiration for Mr Stepien. He has made a name for himself in Scottish history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think his ability not to dig for profit but for knowledge is praiseworthy indeed. The site will yield many more other clues as well because of his holding back and waiting for the archaeologists. The Portable Antiquity often have a watcher on site as well when metal detectorists meet together on one site.

      Delete
  2. Love that painting Thelma.
    I saw lightning in the night but heard no thunder - all too far away in the West.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the rain and storms were coming from the West, you must have missed out on them Pat, it is stifling hot today out in the garden but cool in the cottage.

      Delete
  3. I think I would have camped out there too, watching the entire excavation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facilities are a bit thin on the ground ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful painting. I wonder which of the carrot family Mr. Weymouth did have in view. His flowers look most like Queen Anne's Lace to me, but I know there are many species with similar blooms. This month many of the blogs I've been reading are featuring photos of QAL; it is refreshing to see a painting. Now I must go look into the painter. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gretchen, there are quite a few species of this type of plant in the plant book, almost impossible to pin the right one. Not sure what QAL is but intrigued. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!