Monday, September 14, 2020

Monday - 14th September

 Sifting through photos, this time the year 2017.  It was the year I fractured my ankle and ended up in hospital in Huddersfield.  Lillie had taken a photo of me looking awful, I only stayed three days in an old person's ward.  This was the first time I had realised that the world recognised me as old!  I listened to demanding and querulous old people.  Remember one night waking up to raised voices, and a very vocal lady was trying to get out of bed, and had a keeper sitting beside her trying to keep her quiet.  It was unnerving and when the nurse came by at midnight to take my temperature, etc I voiced my fear but she said it was very normal.

I have an envelope beside me from a friend which I have kept, she had written to the hospital (Thelma, who has broken her ankle) and the letter eventually arrived here in Normanby, I keep it as a reminder how well our country works, both hospital and post office.

I had fractured my ankle at Todmorden Station, racing from one side to another, always in a panic that I was going to catch the wrong train. Sat for a couple of hours on cold, urine smelling concrete steps and then gone in the ambulance with the kindest of ambulance men to the hospital.  Must have been back for a birthday, - Lillies? in the folder of photos there is a rather sad malteser topped chocolate cake, and all my grandchildren were there.

Todmorden, or Tod, as most people prefer to call it.  I still can't say it as the locals would and people just grin at me.  All 2017 photos

 This must be the Town Hall, the canal/river is in front of it and you can strike a line through it for the two counties of Yorkshire and Lancashire.
This photo show the the stone used which was grit stone for building, the blackness must be down to industrialism.
The canal is a quiet walk at the back of the town
this back view of the houses, reminds me of Bath.  Bath has a beautiful 'face' to the front but the backs of the terraced houses is quite untidy.



flowers from a friend


Strange scooter type wheels for getting around.  Hopeless when you had to move from carpet to hard floor or the fact that Lucy always managed to obstruct  me.  This was 2017 by the way.


10 comments:

  1. As we enter old age Thelma we need all the aids we can get - it is just hard to accept them I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Pat, but I am not using them at the moment. that scooter was very awkward, in the end I used the steel one.

      Delete
  2. I was warned about 'sensitive content' by Google for this post, but I have come through it relatively unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back view of most buildings looks about the same, I think. Yes, I was warned of "sensitive content" too, but forged on, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was warned about sensitive content - expected gory photos of broken bones at the very least!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of 'sensitive content' yes even I had a warning, think Rachel's 'sinday' must be catching ;) Can't see anything yet it all looks very normal but I bet it sparked interest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what it is, but their silly algorithm has got it wrong, it is the shortened word for Todmorden, but it has a longer spelling - work it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the sensitive content warning comes from a blog setting - have you ticked it inadvertantly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No I don't think so, the next blog is a test run and it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get the warning. I am beginning to be disappointed that there is no filth lurking behind the alert.

      Delete

Love having comments!