Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Tuesday 22nd September


The year has turned, Autumn Equinox today, the arrival of two large spiders 
yesterday in the house, they know their dates!  The weather is soft and lovely, the garden turns to a golden haze of different browns and fawns.  Yes of course, the rain is coming in a couple of days bringing cold weather but live in the moment. I said to my daughter yesterday, one thing before I die is that I would like a fondue to share with someone and she laughed, coincidence she said I bought the cheeses at Lidl yesterday. Paul for all his love of Japanese food would also be happy with a fondue.  The Swiss nature of such simple foods such as fondues and raclettes brings back memories of the sharp smell of melted cheese held against the fire and then transferred to your potatoes for raclette to be eaten with sharp gherkins and pickled onions, mine sweet preferably.


 

The cheeses must be gruyere and emmenthal, but I have never tracked down the kitsch liqueur.  Can you not see a problem there though? the communal nature of sharing bread and cheese in the pot. We are once more into lockdown.


 

14 comments:

  1. I once ate a fondue at 2.00 in the morning after a 21 hour drive to Switzerland. I never want to eat one again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously you need the stomach and the wine for it, mind you eating it in the middle of the night did not help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe someone has already invented individual little fondue pots so each guest has their own cheese dipping pot and their own plate of dippers. But you would have to sit a social distance apart! Where there is a will, there is a way, Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least our table is large enough Ellen, but you need long arms as well for a central hot plate.

      Delete
  4. In a weird way I am not that bothered if we lock down again. I love the hibernating part of the months to come and not being able to go out will be the perfect excuse to embrace that to the full. I know that I will miss my friends though.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I quite like my solitude, because I can get on with things I want to do and winter gets cold. But I think a lot of people will be very frustrated with this enforced stay in.

      Delete
  5. Enormous spiders in our house. We have a "spider cup" ready with a piece of card. Catch, take outside, spin round twice to confuse them, put them in the garden across the road. Otherwise you take them out and within 48 hours they are back exactly where you found them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is clever, fooling the spiders but according to the window cleaner yesterday everyone's windows are full of fly mess, so perhaps we need the spiders in the house. As long as they hide!

      Delete
  6. A change in the weather here today for the advent of autumn - after warm weather there is suddenly a chill in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stayed warm all yesterday, but it is getting dark so quickly Pat.

      Delete
  7. Surely your bubbles are compatible. Can virus live in hot cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me my family are too far away. I have never explored my friends culinary tastes, fondue is not a done dish, some would say it is a middle class hangover from the 70s, but then everyone is eating new-fangled food now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last couple of weeks have been lovely but now the spell has been broken. The promised rain and drop in temperature has arrived. I am glad I had a bonfire last night - burning off lots of dry garden rubbish accumulated through the summer. It really feels like the start of Autumn now - fondues or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes you are right a fondue is for the colder weather. The change in light and dark seems so quick though.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!